Jobs and Associate degrees and Sponsorship/Green Card

  1. Does anyone know if it is possible for a nurse (not a US citizen) with a US RN degree to get sponsorship for permanent residence? I got my RN from a community college and was wondering if its possible to get sponsorship for work or green card without a BSN. Pls let me have any info.
  2. Visit oobisesan profile page

    About oobisesan

    Joined: Jan '07; Posts: 1


  3. by   Mrc0703
    HI .... i found a link for you... hopefully this will lead you in the right direction
  4. by   sirI
    Thread moved to International forum.
  5. by   suzanne4
    Caveat to the above:

    If you graduated from an Associate program in the US for a two year degree, this can get you petitioned for the green card.

    This is the only way that a new year grad can get petitioned for the green card. It must be done in a US school. And this is done all of the time.

    But if you do not have the OPT and qualify for that, there is no way to be able to work right now as there are no visas available for nurses.
  6. by   penguinPool
    Do you know how long it takes to actually get green card for US educated RN with 2yr degree who has OPT? I guess sponsorship is needed to begin with,,right?
  7. by   suzanne4
    We do not have sponsorship for the green card, only petitioning. We are also under a retrogression at this time and have been for sometime. Suggest that you do some reading here about the retrogression. Your training in the US makes you eligible for the green card, however, there are none that are available for you at this time. And we do not know when they will be available again.

    Attending school in the US no longer guarantees that you will be able to remain here once you have completed your training.

    You have only 60 days after your schooling is completed to remain in the US, since the OPT is training, it is after the last day of the one year OPT.
    We do not expect visas to open up again by the time that you are done. The only thing that you will have available to you is to continue on with your studies to maintain your student status. But be aware that you will no longer have the EAD to work full-time, it is not renewable. You will be going back to student status as you were before you completed your degree.

    Please do some reading here and then let us know if you have more questions.
  8. by   penguinPool
    Thank you so much for your detailed explanation! I actually graduated from 2yr college and have RN license. I have my OPT that will expire this year December. (since I graduated Dec 07) I plan to go into RN-BSN program this Fall semester so that I can stay in US. But I'm not sure if I get another 1yr of OPT when I finish RN-BSN program. Do you know anything about that by any chance?
  9. by   suzanne4
    You have a two year degree now, and with the next degree, you will be able to get the OPT again.

    Best of luck with your studies.
  10. by   penguinPool
    Thank you for replying!
  11. by   suzanne4
    You are quite welcome.

Must Read Topics