I am so doomed! - page 2

Hello guys, I had trouble right from the start and here is my latest problem. I sent the Visa Screen form to the nursing schools. One counted the hours , filled out the form and will send it to... Read More

  1. by   nutella
    I just checked the MA BON again and they still request a CES or a CGFNS for foreign trained nurses, even if they are licensed in another state. They call it "by reciprocity".
    I could apply for initial license more easily with the Visa Screen Certificate, because it means that I don't need to get the CES. Massachusetts seems to be tough.
  2. by   suzanne4
    CGFNS certificate is not the same thing as the Visa Screen Certificate.

    That is where your problem is coming up. Did you ever take the CGFNS exam? If not, then you would not have a CGFNS Certificate. CGFNS Certificate means that the nurse passed the CGFNS exam, as well as the basic English, such as TOEFL or TOEIC. MA doesn't accept IELTS for their English requirement, they are one of the only states that has a language requirement. And that is for any nurse that trained overseas, even if you have a US passport.

    Vermont does not require the CES, that is why I am suggesting them. If they do not have the proper documents for your VSC, how can they use that for the CES?
  3. by   nutella
    At least they got the license stuff from Germany and the transcript from the medical techn. school (which they did not accepted because it was not a nursing school, but I had to get that.).
    Even if I can sit NCLEX for Vermont BON, MA BON won't give me a license by reciprocity because they want to see a CGFNS or CES or a Visa Screen Certificate. That is my main reason to get this Visa Screen Certificate as I have already paid for this and could use it for MA.
    Perhaps it is best to fly to Germany and get everything done, all the copies, translations etc..
  4. by   suzanne4
    Just have your family do it. This is still the first time that I have heard of a state requiring a VCS for endorsement. That is a document that is used strictly for immigration, nothing else.

    And I have never heard of anyone else from your state needing it to endorse.
  5. by   nutella
    I know it is strange, that is why I checked it twice yesterday. MA has a center doing everything in Texas now. When I go to the section:" Foreign trained nurse, initially licensed in another state" they want to see one of those three things: VSC, CES or CGFNS exam. I called them , too and they told me the same thing. All the foreign trained nurses I know here got the CES or proof via VSC.

    This is from their webside:

    Nursing by Reciprocity


    Nurses licensed to practice in other U.S. jurisdiction(s) may qualify for licensure in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.


    Candidates must:

    Be a nurse licensed in the U.S. and U.S. Territories (Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, Virgin Islands);
    Pass the national licensure examination;
    Furnish satisfactory proof of good moral character; and
    Be a graduate of a school of nursing approved by the Board of Nursing in the state of original licensure (RN or PN programs). Be a former student in good standing in a Registered Nurse nursing education program, who must have successfully completed a minimum of 1080 hours, including 945 hours in nursing, of which 540 hours were allocated to clinical. Further, a passing grade in both theory and clinical components in medical, surgical, pediatric, obstetrical and mental health nursing at the time of withdrawal is required.

    Submit a notarized copy of your Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) Certificate or a Credentials Evaluation Report from CGFNS if you are a Foreign Trained Nurse. For additional information, contact CGFNS at www.cgfns.org. (If your nursing education was in a language other than English, please contact Educational Testing Service (ETS) to provide your testing scores in English Proficiency. You may access this information at www.toefl.org.)

    Reciprocal licensure candidates that have previously been licensed in Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Vermont and/or Wisconsin must obtain Verification of Licensure from NURSYS. Click here to download the form.

    When I open the form it also gives the possibility to send in a VSC.

    I will aks my sister to drive to the nursing school and copying everything out of my schoolfiles, hope that that helps...
    Last edit by nutella on Dec 7, '05
  6. by   suzanne4
    Not sure what to say, but it still doens't say Visa Screen Certificate. That is something that has always been just used for immigration. It doens't include a crdentials eval in any way and that is what they are interested in.
  7. by   nutella
    I know, but it is on their form! That is why I called them to verify that and that said , that they accept the VSC. They just want to make sure that foreign trained nurses proofed somehow that their education is o.k. . And if I can save another 300 $ by getting the VSC I have already paid for-thats fine. But if N.Y. doesn't let me sit the NCLEX anyway, I can use the documents for the CES.
  8. by   suzanne4
    If they have passed NCLEX and have a license form another state, it means that their credentials were accepted. Just find it quite odd and this is the first that I am hearing of it.
  9. by   elenova
    Dear Suzanne, I started with the Visa Screen Certification as u advised me to. Just a question, I've sent the 2 requests to my nursing college. Do I need to send another form for Education Evaluation to my High School or I can send them a copy of my High School diploma with English translation.
    And do I need to send to SGFNS an original application for VSC or the application I filled online is enough.
    Thank u again for the time u take to answer our questions.
    Have a good day