HELP! Can international student have the RPN exam?

  1. I am an international student majoring in pratical nursing. I heard that only Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada can have the RPN exam...

    I only have the study visa, can I have the exam after my graduation?

    I have asked several healthcare organizations that can they hire me even I don't have the RPN licence? All of their answer are NO!

    Plz help me!Thank you very much!
    Last edit by Joe V on Aug 17, '17
  2. Visit melo140 profile page

    About melo140

    Joined: Aug '13; Posts: 8


  3. by   loriangel14
    Where are you from and where are you studying? You can write the exam and get a license but you can't stay and work on a student visa. Of course they won't hire you as a nurse with no license.You may have to return home and apply for a temporary work visa from there.
  4. by   Silverdragon102
    You can work on a post student work visa but the visa is only as long as your course. Example if course is 2 years then you can work on post grad visa for 2 years. Check cic website on requirements as you probably have to apply before you graduate. Check with college as you should be able to sit exam
  5. by   melo140
    Thank you very much for your reply!!
    I'm from China and I'm now studying in Centennial College. It seems that with the student visa or work visa is not available to take the exam.. Only Candians can..
  6. by   melo140
    Thank you so much for your reply!!
    Now the problem is that I'm not Canadian, then I can't take the exam because it only opens to Canadian..So without the license that I can't have a nursing job because they only hire the nurse with licence..
  7. by   Silverdragon102
    Who tells you it is only open to Canadians to sit the CRNE? I took the exam as an IEN who was living here with husband who was on a TWP. I suggest you talk to the college because as a student training in Canada you are entitled to, as long as you apply for it, a permit allowing you to work post graduation
  8. by   melo140
    Registration Requirements for RNs and RPNs - CNO
    I watched that as this site, #6 said that international student is not allowed to take the exam.. And school keeps saying they don't know, which worries me a lot...
  9. by   melo140
    And sorry.. Can you please tell me what is IEN and TWP.. Thanks a lot...
  10. by   loriangel14
    Quote from melo140
    Registration Requirements for RNs and RPNs - CNO
    I watched that as this site, #6 said that international student is not allowed to take the exam.. And school keeps saying they don't know, which worries me a lot...
    It says you need to provide proof of citizenship or PR to ENGAGE in nursing.This means you have to be legally able to work as a nurse. It doesn't mean you can't take the exam.You can take the exam but you can't work until you have PR or a work visa.

    IEN is internationally educated nurse.TWP is temporary work permit.
  11. by   Silverdragon102
    OK what you can do is follow this

    To obtain a work permit after your graduation, you must meet the following requirements:

    • You must have studied full time in Canada and you must have completed a program of study that lasted at least eight months.
    • In addition, you must have graduated from:
      • a public post-secondary institution, such as a college, trade/technical school, university or CEGEP (in Quebec), or
      • a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions, or
      • a private secondary or post-secondary institution (in Quebec) offering qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer leading to a diplme d’tudes professionnelles (DEP) or an attestation de spcialisation professionnelle (ASP), or
      • a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees but only if you are enrolled in one of the programs of study leading to a degree as authorized by the province and not in all programs of study offered by the private institution.

    • You must apply for a work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation (for example, a transcript or an official letter) from your institution indicating that you have met the requirements for completing your academic program.
    • You must have completed and passed the program of study and received a notification that you are eligible to obtain your degree, diploma or certificate.
    • You must have a valid study permit when you apply for the work permit.

    Determine your eligibility " Work after graduation

    So apply for the work permit based on written confirmation from your school that you have completed academic program. Once you have your work permit you can apply to the college to register as a nurse and sit exam. All you need to do then is provide copy of your work permit and as long as you meet requirements which graduating from an approved Canadian school should not be a problem you can look at sitting exam and finding a employer

    As set out on the college website

    • a work permit that provides authorization to practise nursing in Ontario

    Registration Requirements for RNs and RPNs - CNO

  12. by   melo140
    Thank you so much for your reply..
    But from my school's website, it says:

    Before undertaking this program, applicants should be aware that under the provisions of the Regulated Health Profession and Nursing Acts, to qualify to write the Canadian Practical Nurse Registration Examination (CPNRE), you must:

    Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada or be authorized under the Immigration Act (Canada)

    9350 Practical Nursing | Centennial College Full-Time Programs
  13. by   Silverdragon102
    And if your school gives you a letter confirming you are graduating from an academic course you can apply for a Work permit which will make you authorized under the immigration act to temp live and work in Canada. Which will allow you to meet college requirements and after meeting requirements sit the exam and as long as you pass you will be able to work according to the terms on the work permit
  14. by   cham0105
    Hi! Newbie here. Still dont know how to post questions properly. 😁 Anyway, I am a RN in Phils and also has a license in US. I moved here in Canada almost 2 years ago and is under the live-in CG program. Since my contract is about to end and I will be applying for a PR status, I am planning to have my papers assessed by the CNO as early as now. Now, after reading all the responses here, I am inclined in applying as an RPN than RN. Am I making the right decision? 😊
    I have received the application package and is currently filling up the information needed. I am kinda confused though. My last working experience in a hospital was way back in 2010. The paper said that I should write my previous jobs within the last 3 years. Will it be okay to still include that experience eventhough it was more than 3 years ago? That is my only hospital experience that is why I want to include it.
    Also, what sort of books/review materials would you recommend for me to peruse for studying?
    I hope it's not too much for me to ask for your kind responses. Thank you in advance. 😊