california certification - first from my school to apply

  1. Hello,

    I am a German nurse with a green card through marriage who has been going through the certification process with the California Board of Nursing.

    * I and another graduate from my school in Germany are the first to apply for a california licensure. I don't know her personally, but I've heard about it secondhand.

    I'm done with almost all of the steps except:

    * The Board does not have our school's cirriculum in their database. This is needed to go past the first step.
    * My school does not communicate in English very well, but they have sent a 300 page school cirriculum to the board.

    The board sent 70 of the 300 pages back to me and asked me to translate them through a certified translator. This will cost at least $2000... and it's not even all of the documents.

    At this point:

    * The first part of the 70 pages has a summary of the education--would it hurt me to just translate 20 pages and let the board ignore the rest?

    Has this happened to anyone else here? It's difficult to be the first! I don't know what the situation is like with the other girl who went to my school.

    I will also ask the board, but it's very difficult to get replies as I can imagine they are overloaded.

    They even keep sending mail to an old mailing address that I changed more than 3 months ago; I just want to get this over with as quickly as possible!

    Does it hurt to email or write a letter? Any advice? It's been a torturous months long process!

    Thank you!
  2. Visit tiasait profile page

    About tiasait, RN

    Joined: Dec '07; Posts: 3


  3. by   Silverdragon102
    As far as I am aware it has to be a certified translator, they will not accept anything you have done. Do the BON have a list of acceptable translators?
  4. by   suzanne4
    The BRN does not want a two hundred page paper, but want to know the specifics of each of the courses that you have completed, and specifically just that. They need to do an evaluation to make sure that your school meets the requirements for licensure in the US, and that is what they want to see.

    Not sure what your school was sending, but the BRN just is interested in the the nursing courses that you have completed and what was included in those, they do not need anything else.

    Any document that is submitted must be done thru a certified translator, that is a requirement of any BON, as well as immigration bureau.

    You can check with them and see if you get the CES done by CGFNS, if they are able to accept that and that can save you some aggravation.
  5. by   tiasait
    Thank you very much!

    I wish my school would write a 2 page summary; other schools have done it. Unfortunately it has been very difficult to get information from them. They don't speak English and didn't feel obligated to send the 300 page cirriculum the first time around.

    I'm going to just go ahead and translate what the board sent me, even though it's only part of the 300 pages. It's very expensive.

    It's hellish! I will just keep trying--after this I just want to be able to take the NCLEX!
  6. by   suzanne4
    I would have CGFNS do a credentials eval, it will save you quite a bit of time. Even though CA does their own eval, I am sure what CGFNS puts together will make it easier for them to review.

    CGFNS is quite used to doing this and may already be familiar with your program, I would start with them first.