Best Option??

  1. Hi everyone,

    I'm currently on my gap year before starting university and for years have been debating. I have family living in California where I am without a doubt wanting to relocate to at some point in my life.
    Now that it has come to the point where I need to apply for univeristy I have two options in front of me. Midwifery or Neonatal Nursing.
    The thoughts that are in my head right now are which is the best option to choose. I'm aware that the US qualifications for these jobs are completely different to those in the UK and I understand that it is going to be a long process. I was just wondering which of the two jobs is the wiser choice to make taking into consideration how much easier/harder it will be to get a job in the state of California with UK qualifications and what extra qualifications I would need to gain in order to be lisenced in the US.
    Are either of those qualifications enough as a whole to be considered fully trained in the US?
    The neonatal course which I am looking at is a BSc (Hons) in Childrens Nursing and then Specialising in neonatal nursing once I have reached that point in my studies. Would this be enough to get a job in the US in an equivilent role?
    I am seeking help before I make this decision because I am happy going on either course but I am also looking to make the best decision for my future.
    I would appreciate if anyone could help, at the moment at 18 years old the whole emmigration thing confuses me ever so slightly lol, I am researching it alot and I am sure that after my university course is complete I will be 100% knowledged up on it! This is just the first step for me.
    Thanks :spin: xx
  2. Visit bbreborner profile page

    About bbreborner

    Joined: Oct '07; Posts: 1


  3. by   Silverdragon102
    Hi and welcome to the site

    UK training doesn't always meet US requirements. You need to make sure that your course covers all areas ie midwifery, mental health, paeds and general adult. Hours need to be both practical as well as theory, as long as you can arrange this then I would say approach the university first and discuss options. If midwifery course they generally do not have a foundation course like the other courses, better to discuss with university first.

    Good luck
  4. by   suzanne4
    As was mentioned above, you will be required to have hours in all of the required areas needed to be able to get a license in the US, or even permission to sit for the NCLEX exam.

    For any of the specialties in the US, you must hold a standard RN license before you can get certification as the specialist; and in the US, the mid-wife training is now Master's prepared in order to get that title and complete the requirements for it.

    Neonatal Nurse Practitioner is also MSN prepared here, after a two year work experience before being able to start those programs.

    And to answer your question:
    Neither of those programs will cover the requirements for licensure in the US. If your focus is definitely to be able to work in the US, then you would be further ahead with the Adult Track, that has most of the required courses; and just would need to take the maternal and peds as electives.