Jump to content

Information about become a canadian nurse

MonseOro MonseOro (New) New

Hello, im from México (guadalajara) and im a nurse, i have already finished my school, but my plan is to move to Canadá. I have a lot of cuestios, first i want to know the different categories in nurse in Canadá and witch activities the nurses do. Also i want to know if exist a law un health care. Or if you know of somebody that can help me or guide me and i can contact that person i will apreciate that....

Silverdragon102, BSN

Specializes in Medical and general practice now LTC.

Starting point would be looking at the requirements that the provincial college of RN and LPN require of someone that trained outside the country. All new applicants (IEN) have to apply to NNAS before applying to the province.

NotReady4PrimeTime, RN

Specializes in NICU, PICU, PCVICU and peds oncology.

There are many laws that apply to health care and health care providers in Canada. The provincial Colleges of Nursing are responsible for protecting the public and for regulating the practice of nursing in their province, all under federal and provincial legislation - the Canada Health Act and the various Health Professionals Acts.

As Silverdragon102 said in her post, ALL internationally educated (not educated in Canada) nurses are required to first have their credentials assessed by NNAS. If found to be qualified to practice in Canada, the next phase is to apply to the province where you'd like to live. Canada is a BIG place, the second-largest country in the world by land mass. So you have to pick where you want to go then see what you have to do to get there.


By using the site you agree to our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies.