Indianna State University students in NC

  1. Hello,
    I have researched ISU's program and have decided that this is the program I want to do. However, I am reluctant because I am afraid that after I am finished that NC will not accept the school. Are there any ISU students from NC or anyone that knows the answer! Thank you so much for any help.
  2. Visit Brismom02 profile page

    About Brismom02

    Joined: Aug '11; Posts: 3; Likes: 2


  3. by   LadyinScrubs
    Quote from brismom02
    i have researched isu's program and have decided that this is the program i want to do. however, i am reluctant because [color=#a52a2a]i am afraid that after i am finished that nc will not accept the school. are there any isu students from nc or anyone that knows the answer! thank you so much for any help.
    if isu is authorized by your state board of nursing, you should have no problems. i went to the nc board's website and found the following information:

    "[color=#004478]out-of-state programs/online programs/correspondence courses[color=#004478]the north carolina board of nursing (ncbon) approves and regulates nursing education programs in the state of nc. at this time, the board does not approve/accredit nursing education programs which are outside of nc jurisdiction, including out-of-state online programs/correspondence courses.
    [color=#004478]the ncbon does recognize graduates from pre-licensure nursing education programs that are approved/accredited by other state boards of nursing as eligible to apply to take the nclex examination(s) and apply for licensure in nc.
    [color=#004478]for example, excelsior college is one of these programs. excelsior college is approved by the new york state board of nursing and graduates from that program may apply to take the nclex-rn examination in nc and apply for licensure as a registered nurse in nc. the ncbon encourages you to deal directly with the college. they have an excellent web site:

    [color=#004478]out-of-state nursing education programs can be contacted directly for information and specific questions about the program and the program's approval/accreditation status in their state. it is recommended that individuals research the approval/accreditation status and credibility of any nursing education program before enrolling in individual courses or the entire program of study."

    hope this helps
    Last edit by LadyinScrubs on May 30, '12 : Reason: Add additional information
  4. by   VeganLPN
    Just to update some info, I emailed the NC BON about taking the NCLEX-RN upon completing the baccalaureate program at Indiana State. This is the response I received... "If the LPN to RN program through Indiana State University is approved by the Board of Nursing in Indiana, you would be eligible to take the NCLEX-RN in NC upon successful completion of the program."

    As the program is approved by the Indiana BON, graduates should be eligible to take the NC NCLEX-RN exam.

    Hope this helps.
  5. by   elkpark
    Please be aware that, if the ISU program involves doing any clinical experiences within NC, any sites have to be approved as student clinical sites by the NC BON -- info is on the NC BON website ( If that's not done, your education won't be recognized.
  6. by   VeganLPN
    That is a good point. I went to the BON site, and I found a list of approved schools, but could not find a list of approved clinical sites. Do you have a link? I easily found the list of NC sites with contracts on the ISU site however.
  7. by   VeganLPN
    I sent another email to the BON contact who helped me yesterday. Hopefully she can confirm that my preferred sites are approved, or she can point me in the right direction.
  8. by   VeganLPN
    Just heard back from the NCBON, and I am in the clear with my preferred clinical sites and ready to go. I would advise anyone going into the ISU program to actually talk to people both at the school and at your state Board of Nursing.
  9. by   PatMac10,RN
    If you have to complete some kind if clinical or ate enrolling in one of their advanced practiced programs be aware that the school must be licensed with the UNC board if governors to conduct educational activities, such as internships and clinical rotations in NC.

    Our board for not certify out if state and online schools if nursing. When it comes to online completion or Bridge programs, that don't lead to initial licensure you shouldn't run into a problem, as long as they school has the proper accreditations. Again, if the program leads to initial licensure as a LPN, RN, or APN, which would require clinical time that would be completed within NC, you have to worry, more-so, about the school being a licensed by the UNC Board of Governors.
  10. by   VeganLPN
    Can you help me understand a bit... if the NCBON says a clinical site is ok, how does the UNC Board of Governors come into play since Indiana State is not a part of the UNC system?
  11. by   PatMac10,RN
    Quote from VeganLPN
    Can you help me understand a bit... if the NCBON says a clinical site is ok, how does the UNC Board of Governors come into play since Indiana State is not a part of the UNC system?
    This whole UNC Board if Governors things just popped up again this past year or so as far as I understand.

    Here is the explanation from the UNC Board of Governors website.

    "Licensure for Non-public or Out-of-State Institutions
    The licensing of nonpublic post-secondary educational institutions to conduct degree activity in North Carolina has long been a legal requirement. From 1923 to 1963 the responsibility for licensure was a function of the State Board of Education. In 1963, the authority was transferred to the State Board of Higher Education. In 1972, the General Assembly dissolved that agency and assigned the responsibility to the newly created Board of Governors of the University of North Carolina.

    In carrying out its licensing and exemption from licensure responsibilities, the Board has clear statutory directions. With regard to licensing, the statutes specify that 15 minimum standards must be met by nonpublic institutions in such critical areas as curricula, faculty, library, and financial stability. Further, the Board is statutorily empowered to establish such policies and procedures as it considers necessary for carrying out its duties. (See Rules and Standards)

    The licensing and exemption from licensure functions of the UNC Board of Governors constitutes an important consumer protection activity. The Board in effect acts as a quality “Gatekeeper” by opening the gate to nonpublic institutions meeting minimum standards or found exempt from licensure. Licensure, by substantiating minimum educational quality in consonance with State law making unlawful any “unfair or deceptive acts or practices in the conduct of any trade or commerce,” protects many constituencies. They include students, employers, and taxpayers in general. Licensure is the first requirement for accreditation of institutions and their participation in various programs of the U.S. Office of Education and Federal student financial aid agencies. On the other hand, the door does not open for institutions unable to meet the standards or eligibility for exemption. Once institutions are authorized to conduct degree activity, the Board on a continuing basis assures their maintenance of standards and policies through follow-up site visits and inquiries by staff.

    If the President determines that an institution has failed to seek licensure or exemption from licensure as statutorily required or failed to fulfill any obligation attendant to licensure or exemption, the President may request that the State Attorney General take appropriate action."

    The way the lady from NCBON explained they go through this process every few years to ensure that the academic standards of these out of state and non-public programs are meeting the requirements of the NC education system and standards.
  12. by   PatMac10,RN

    If the NCBON says that everything thing is ok, then more than likely it is legitimate and is valid somehow. I am positive the BON is aware of the standards, procedures and requirements fir such things, for the most part. However, it never hurts to double check. Here is the link to their website. You can look up the schools that are already licensed there too. Look to the left and click the "Licensed Institutions" Link.

    You may have to copy and paste the link into your address bar.
  13. by   VeganLPN
    So where does ISU stand with the UNC Board of Governors at this point?
  14. by   PatMac10,RN
    Quote from VeganLPN
    So where does ISU stand with the UNC Board of Governors at this point?
    Idk. They are not listed as a licensed institution. However, like I stated earlier, you may be in the clear if NCBON gave you the go ahead. I would call and clarify with them. Apparently one way around this thing, at least when it comes to Walden University, is to sign a waiver saying you live in x state, but you will be doing your clinical rotations in a state that borders yours (like SC: I live 20 mins from the border) that doesn't have restrictions on such things. Maybe that will work with USI. Im really not sure. I world really advise to talk more with the school and NCBON