Humber second entry question

Posted
by ddw2020 ddw2020 (New) New Nurse Pre-Student

After finishing the preparatory program, will I enter into the second year term 2 of the regular program? Or the second entry has a special curriculum? Thanks!

Edited by ddw2020

chickpea7

chickpea7

Has 1 years experience. 72 Posts

The second entry has their own curriculum for the first year. It is not until the following fall semester that you join up with the regular program for two semesters (fall and Winter), before separating again in the final Summer.

ddw2020

ddw2020

3 Posts

5 minutes ago, chickpea7 said:

The second entry has their own curriculum for the first year. It is not until the following fall semester that you join up with the regular program for two semesters (fall and Winter), before separating again in the final Summer.

Thank you so much Chickpea7. I heard from a couple of ppl saying the program is very demanding and half of the students drop off from the program. Could you share some of your experiences?

chickpea7

chickpea7

Has 1 years experience. 72 Posts

It has been very demanding, but manageable. I'd say half is an exaggeration, but I think we started with around 90 students and were down to 60-something at the start of this semester. Some failed out, but some chose to leave for other pursuits. Humber has the highest pass rate on the NCLEX compared to the other bachelors programs (including u of t, york, ryerson, etc.) so I'd say it does a great job at preparing you in that regard. I think nursing programs in general are pretty rigorous, so time management will be important. Adding to that, going through the summers makes it so you don't get a big break like the 4 year programs. It can feel draining at times, but totally worth it.

ddw2020

ddw2020

3 Posts

1 minute ago, chickpea7 said:

It has been very demanding, but manageable. I'd say half is an exaggeration, but I think we started with around 90 students and were down to 60-something at the start of this semester. Some failed out, but some chose to leave for other pursuits. Humber has the highest pass rate on the NCLEX compared to the other bachelors programs (including u of t, york, ryerson, etc.) so I'd say it does a great job at preparing you in that regard. I think nursing programs in general are pretty rigorous, so time management will be important. Adding to that, going through the summers makes it so you don't get a big break like the 4 year programs. It can feel draining at times, but totally worth it.

Thank you chickpea7!

GL to your future studies!

chickpea7

chickpea7

Has 1 years experience. 72 Posts

No problem! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask ?

MssPrincess

MssPrincess

14 Posts

Technically you are not in the program until semester 2. You need to pass the semester1 to move on with 74% in the classes

AvaGL

11 Posts

Hey folks,

If someone can please provide some clarification as to whether I would qualify to apply to this program. I have completed two diplomas at Seneca College (Liberal Arts University Transfer GPA 3.1) & Social Service Worker: Immigrants & Refugees (completed GPA 3.5+). Would I qualify as an applicant for this second entry program?

I have reached out to Humber and haven't heard anything. I wanted to know if there were any other college applicants?

2 year diplomas are classed as 60 credits.

Really excited and nervous, please let me know.

MssPrincess

MssPrincess

14 Posts

Hello

No you do not qualify for the 2nd entry. Requires a university degree/background with science courses.

**2nd entry are for individuals who have completeled 3-4 years of a *university program and/with science background(helps)

However you can apply to the regular BN program you may have a chance with your sciences and math etc taken from high school [at university level courses ending with U]

example

Math MDM4U

Biology SB14U

Edited by MssPrincess

AvaGL

11 Posts

1 hour ago, MssPrincess said:

Hello

No you do not qualify for the 2nd entry. Requires a university degree/background with science courses.

**2nd entry are for individuals who have completeled 3-4 years of a *university program and/with science background(helps)

However you can apply to the regular BN program you may have a chance with your sciences and math etc taken from high school [at university level courses ending with U]

example

Math MDM4U

Biology SB14U

Thanks for answering the initial question. I'm aware of high school courses and what their endings mean.

I already have my back up plan in effect.

MssPrincess

MssPrincess

14 Posts

OK all the best

Halscon

Halscon

Has 1 years experience. 38 Posts

On 4/1/2020 at 8:30 PM, ddw2020 said:

Thank you chickpea7!

GL to your future studies!

 

On 4/1/2020 at 8:32 PM, chickpea7 said:

No problem! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask ?

 

On 4/1/2020 at 8:27 PM, chickpea7 said:

It has been very demanding, but manageable. I'd say half is an exaggeration, but I think we started with around 90 students and were down to 60-something at the start of this semester. Some failed out, but some chose to leave for other pursuits. Humber has the highest pass rate on the NCLEX compared to the other bachelors programs (including u of t, york, ryerson, etc.) so I'd say it does a great job at preparing you in that regard. I think nursing programs in general are pretty rigorous, so time management will be important. Adding to that, going through the summers makes it so you don't get a big break like the 4 year programs. It can feel draining at times, but totally worth it.

Hello chickpea. What’s the are you at now please ? 
also please how difficult is the preparatory program. It says 2021 fall is sept to December online . I am from a non science background and I am so worried about the grading as it says to meet 74 in all 6 courses before even beginning the nursing program itself . 
 

are you from a science background ? 
also how did you find the preparatory semester ? 
how or what tips could you give to make one pass this semester . 
 

also could I possibly get your email address  contact if you don’t mind 

 

Sorry for all the questions I am just stressed out with thoughts