Help! Canadian needing American licensing for graduate school

Nurses General Nursing


Can anyone help me? I've been doing alot of researching and am not coming up with any clear answers. I am a Canadian educated nurse currently working in Saudi Arabia. I am interested in some MSN programs in the US but have found that it is required for me to have an American license. Do any states assist students who need registration for school and not for work purposes?

Are there any agencies that can assist with just the licensing process if I am not currently looking for employment in the US.

Any help would be appreciated.

You will need to take the licensing exam, the NCLEX-RN. This is the same whether you're Canadian, Nigerian, or from anywhere else.

You cannot receive an RN license in the United States without having passed that exam. You would register to take it in whatever State you plan to continue your education, so you will have an active license when ready to start school.

But no, you cannot become an RN "for education purposes only"....the BON won't care if you're not seeking employment just now. Think of it this way: if they DID "give" you a license, what would preclude you from then GETTING employment without having demonstrated at least a minimum competency (by passing the exam)?

So, no.

Check the BON website for whatever state(s) the school you are going to attend is in, and the info and forms you need to apply for licensure should be there. As RNsRWE already noted, you will need to pass the NCLEX-RN as part of the process, and the license is the license -- there's no such thing as a license just for school. Best wishes.

+ Add a Comment