% of dementia patients on meds?

  1. Hello. I am a nursing student doing research on dementia medications. I have yet to find a percentage of pts actually on medication but I believe it to be high, especially in LTC facilities. Can anyone give me an estimate either by fact or guessable personal knowledge. Thank you. FYI, I am researching alternative therapies other than tranqs and anti-psychotics.
    •  
  2. Visit stacyredd profile page

    About stacyredd

    Joined: Apr '05; Posts: 2

    1 Comments

  3. by   txspadequeenRN
    I work at a large Alzheimers/Dementia facility. I am the med nurse and can give you some round about stats for our facility. Out of 115 patients ,we have 70% that are on Aricept or Namenda. The other 30% have slipped into the later phases where thoses meds dont work well and they have been discontinued. Are you looking for memory enhancers only, because we give alot of other meds that improve behaviors that in-turn improved the overall function of the patient. Let me know ....




    Quote from stacyredd
    Hello. I am a nursing student doing research on dementia medications. I have yet to find a percentage of pts actually on medication but I believe it to be high, especially in LTC facilities. Can anyone give me an estimate either by fact or guessable personal knowledge. Thank you. FYI, I am researching alternative therapies other than tranqs and anti-psychotics.

close