Work visa for U.S.A.

  1. Hello everyone!

    This is my first post to this forum, so let me apologize in advance if I'm in the wrong category with this question.

    I am a Canadian citizen, wishing to work in the U.S. after I graduate with my Associates Degree in nursing. I would like to attend nursing school in Buffalo, N.Y.

    My question is, will I be able to obtain a work visa for the U.S. with a degree in nursing that I received from an American college, or does my degree have to be from a Canadian school?

    Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!!!

    Last edit by Alexander on Apr 9, '03
  2. Visit Pab_Meister profile page

    About Pab_Meister

    Joined: Apr '03; Posts: 160; Likes: 11


  3. by   fergus51
    Your work visa is dependant on you having a job to go to in the US, where you do your training is unimportant. As long as you qualify to write the NCLEX RN in the US (which every new ADN grad there does) you should have no problem getting a VISA and job in the US. I used a recruiter when I went and she did almost all the paperwork stuff for me. I can pm you her name if you like.
  4. by   Pab_Meister

    Thank you so much! Yes, I would love it if you would give me her contact info. Thanks again!!

    Last edit by Alexander on Apr 9, '03
  5. by   Pab_Meister
    Thank you so much, Fergus51!!

    I just sent an e-mail off to these folks - I hope to hear back soon!!

    Have a great weekend!!!
  6. by   CountrifiedRN
    Good Luck!!
  7. by   almondhoney
    Alexander, what is an Associates Degree? I've never heard of it in Canada? Are you talking about the diploma RN program?
  8. by   Pab_Meister
    Hello AlmondHoney!

    I'll do my best to explain what an AD is, to the best of my understanding. It's a degree from an accredited college or university that is a minimum requirement in order to write the NCLEX exam, and be licensed in the state of your alma mater, plus possibly a couple of other states whom will recognize your training. My understanding is that you will not be able to practice in Canada with this degree. I am assuming you are from Canada too? I don't know how it would compare to the Diploma Program in Canada.
  9. by   fergus51
    You can practice in certain provinces with the ADN as long as you wrote the Canadian exam also (the CNAT). You wouldn't be able to practice in Ontario as they are making the BSN the minimum. But you can practice in EVERY US state with the ADN, because it isn't the degree that matters there, it's the fact that you wrote and passed the NCLEX. The ADN programs are generally 2 years full time (but often take 3 with the prereqs), whereas the diploma programs here are 3 years and are fully recognized in the US. They used to have a lot of diploma programs there as well, but they seem to have died out in a lot of the country and been replaced by ADN and BSN programs.

    BTW, is there a reason you want to go to the US to study?
    Last edit by fergus51 on Apr 11, '03
  10. by   Pab_Meister
    Thanks for your clarification, Fergus51! Especially in regards to the NCLEX exam. I wasn't aware of any of that.

    I'm not sure whom you are directing your question to re: reason for studying in the U.S., but in case it's me, here goes:

    It's strictly a logistics thing for me. The geographically closest school to where I live just happens to be in N.Y. The geographically closest school in Canada is Hamilton (coll. & univ.) which is about an hours drive on the best of days. I wouldn't be able to keep up my career, even part time, in the Canadian school. In N.Y., it's about 1/2 hr. from my home, and I have a brother who lives just south of the school I'd be applying at. He doesn't know it yet, but he's going to have a frequent overnight guest in the not too distant future! I live very close to the U.S., have many American friends and clients and only watch American t.v., so it won't be a tough transition. Well, except I've never gotten used to that Western N.Y. accent! "Taffy" for "toffee", "dallers" for "dollars", but I'll adjust! There are other considerations for anyone else to take into consideration should they wish to do the same (see Fergus51 above).

    Have a great day all!!
    Last edit by Alexander on Apr 11, '03
  11. by   fergus51
    That's strange, I hadn't considered that you would be closer to an American school than a Canadian one I spent my teens in the US, but actually moved back to Canada to go to school because it was so much cheaper! The disadvantage was it was a 4 year program.... Hope you enjoy the program in NY.
  12. by   Pab_Meister
    Hey Fergus!

    Yes it's true! And the nearest beaches to Western New York are guessed it! On my side of the border! Americans love our beaches! If you live close to the border, you don't think it strange that we flock to each others' countries all the time for all different reasons. It's just like driving to the next city or the next town, except that you have to answer a bunch of questions to some total stranger to be let in.
    I wrote the Placement Test this morning. It was really in the "hood". On the way to the college I kept thinking about all of you. Thanks so much for the encouragement and support! You have no idea how much you have reenforced my commitment to this pursuit! I guess I'm not nutz after all!

  13. by   tatianamik
    Originally posted by fergus51
    But you can practice in EVERY US state with the ADN, because it isn't the degree that matters there, it's the fact that you wrote and passed the NCLEX.
    A little clarification on this. If you plan on North Dakota being your primary licensing state you are required to have a BSN to take the NCLEX for licensure in this state. If you were licensed in another state previously, you can appeal to the board of nursing for a license with another degree.