Types of NP's

  1. Hello,
    I was wondering if you could become a Dermatology Nurse Practioner? When I look online, the list is general and includes Mid-Wife, Neonatal, and Psychiatric.etc...
    Aly :redpinkhe
  2. Visit alyxoxo82 profile page

    About alyxoxo82

    Joined: May '09; Posts: 13


  3. by   kanzi monkey
    You can get an NP license and specialize in derm. Sometimes you can request a derm clinical in your graduate program. I've also heard of derm (and other specialty) fellowships for NPs. As nurses have dominated in the field of skin care/protection, derm has become a huge area for advanced practice RNs. I think the best way to learn more is to find a derm specialist, who may give you tips on how to get into the field. There is an "advanced practice" forum in the "specialty" section on AN--you may want to ask around in there.
  4. by   ijuanabhappy
    I'm not positive but you might be able to work in specialties such as dermatology with a degree of FNP family nurse practitioner, or an adult care nurse practitioner.
  5. by   jer_sd
    Here is the link to derm certification for NPs
  6. by   PAERRN20
    I agree with the previous poster. You can go through a NP program and then specialize. I haven't seen any specifically for derm since that is somewhat limited but you could pursue adult NP or family health NP and then specialize. Even if there was a dedicated dermatology NP program I don't think I would do that since dermatology jobs could be very difficult to find compared to family NP jobs.