I just started working on a med-surg for my first nursing job. Before being a nurse, my background was in mental health. I intentionally didn't seek out any psych nursing positions because I wanted to see if I would like other areas before going back to comfort zone. Two weeks in and I'm starting to feel like I already want to transfer to psych. My long-term goal is to go back to school to be a PMHNP. Here are my questions.
1) Is it totally sketchy to somehow ask for a transfer after 2 weeks of orientation?
2) If I don't transfer, has anyone found that med-surg skills transfer well?
3) What areas are PMHNP mostly employed in? Ideally, I'd like to be in an outpatient mental health center.
Nov 29, '17
1. Yes, it's "totally sketchy" to apply for a transfer this early. Many employers have policies that you're not eligible for an internal transfer until you've worked six months (or longer) on your current unit. Check your employer's HR policies.
2. Med-surg skills transfer well anywhere
. You can't go wrong having a solid med-surg background, whatever else you may do in your career.
3. PMHNPs are employed in all kinds of settings, inpatient, outpatient, everything in between. Anywhere where mental health is happening.