Please help me help this person...

  1. I am taking care of a quad... can move his chin up and down, and speak softly only. He can still feel things, but has no motor ability.

    It is so hard for him... he was very active before his disease struck.

    I would like to try to find some information on specialty equipment that would be available for this man to be able to use a computer using just the small amount of movement he has. I think I have heard of adaptive computer equipment that you can hold with your mouth. But I can't find any on the web... so far, everything I find, you have to at least be able to touch an arrow on a pad with your finger. I thought someone here might know of some sites or organizations I could talk to.

    I would appreciate any information for help I could get to find this man at least a little freedom while he is locked inside a body that has been robbed of so much by this terrible disease.

    White Shoes
  2. Visit White Shoes profile page

    About White Shoes

    Joined: Apr '06; Posts: 23; Likes: 18
    PT Supervisor for skilled care building
    Specialty: 26 year(s) of experience in Surgical, orthopedics, skilled care


  3. by   TazziRN
    Is there a support group in your area for paralytics or the families/caregivers of paralytics? They might be able to point you in the right direction.
  4. by   GingerSue
    is there an occupational therapist who might know

    I'm remembering a specialty hospital - Lyndhurst - in Toronto
    Last edit by GingerSue on Oct 23, '06
  5. by   nerdtonurse?

    Putting my "nerd" hat back on for a minute, there are tons of computer assistant things out there. First, most recent computers come with the ability to use a voice activated interface. Your patient could surf the web, read books on line, watch movies, etc., just by using his voice. If you go to this site has a lot of links to different options. Hope this helps.