Oklahoma skilled nursing facility question

  1. Is there a law that gives a patient's spouse the right to request a med be held or discontinued? If so where do I find info on this subject?

    Thanks for your help!
  2. Visit NURSE2306 profile page

    About NURSE2306

    Joined: Jan '06; Posts: 7


  3. by   Silverdragon102
    Welcome to the site, Have you checked with BON?
  4. by   Tweety
    Moving this question from the Introductions forum to the General Forum, since you are asking a question.

    I would think if the spouse has power of attorney (and most spouses do by law) and the patient is unable to speak for themselves, you must consider the spouses wishes. But hopefully someone will come along with a more concrete answer.

  5. by   lpnshortygurl
    I don't have a concrete answer but I can tell you a situation I was in. A patient at the LTC/REHAB facility where i work was on antihypertensive medication and her husband was POA. He disagreed with her medication dosage constantly and even changed doctors quite a few times because he wanted a doctor to say his wife was not hypertensive. He would constantly request that her hypertension meds be held stating that she was just agitated by the staff having to take her bp daily and this is why it was high. We phoned the doc and was told to hold the med and just document document document.... So I guess they are kinda able to do that. Is it legally right? I dunno!
  6. by   NURSE2306
    Thank you so much for your help, I am still a pretty new LPN and I am sure it will take a long time to really grasp alll I need to know. Day by day I learn more and more. I love nursing (Although it is sometimes really stressful), but it is nice to have a place where I can get direction without feeling I am bothering people. Thanks again for all your help, I will look into your suggestions.