Newbie needs about RN license transferring to other states.

  1. Hi Folks,
    I was wondering if the RN licensure will transfer to other states.
    The reason why I ask is I live in MA, I was planning on going for my ASN and then moving to a warmer climate like Arizona.
    I have heard this is possible to do however, I do not need to retake any tests do I?
    Has anyone done this?
    Is it worth the hassle or should I just move to another state and go to school there?
    I am sure it cannot be that hard since there are traveling nurses.
    Can someone help me out.
  2. Visit jgg765 profile page

    About jgg765, BSN

    Joined: Jan '03; Posts: 48; Likes: 10
    Corrections Nurse former IT worker.
    Specialty: 5 year(s) of experience in Corrections and Physc


  3. by   Shiva_Las_Vegas
    Actually, if you do a search on this forum you will find the info you are looking for.

    From what I have read so far, it seems like you should go ahead and maybe get your license in the state you are currently in. You will have to contact the State Board of Nursing that you are looking at moving to and find out the fees, etc.

    From what I have read, you should not have to retake any tests.....

    Like I said, you can do a search to find out tons of information here.......

    Good Luck!
  4. by   2ndCareerRN

    You asked this same question on the 23rd of June.

    If you can't be bothered to keep up with your threads on here, why should people be expected to reply to them every time you post?

    Part of being a student, or a nurse for that matter, is to use all of the resources available to you. Along those lines, if you ask for, and get information, please use it, or not, as you see fit.

    But, please don't ask for the same thing several times, or else you may not get any replies, in life, as well as in school.

  5. by   glow_worm
    Process: 1) graduate from program, 2) take NCLEX for licensure (RN), apply to one state of choice (usually it's the same state where you graduated, or your state of residence; but you can appy to any state), 3) "endorse" into any state by contacting that state's nursing board, filling out their application & paying a small fee, and waiting for licensure in the 2nd state.

    some states have a compact agreement, where you can have a license in one state only but are able to work in all the other states that have joined that compact (make sense?). for example, nc and iowa share a compact agreement. if you are licensed in nc, you can work in iowa with that same license.

    most states are not involved in the compact, however.

    to contact licensing boards, just do a yahoo search: "state X, nursing board". you'll find a link to their webpage for info.
  6. by   Robanam
    I am writing this for my friend. She has her RN licence from California. She would like to tranfer it to New York state. We dont know what to do. Hope any one could help us.
  7. by   augigi
    Go to the NY Board of Nursing website, fill in their application. She will need to get the CVS report for NY licensure, which is available from and involves sending transcripts etc from her school to CGFNS. She'll also need to do online courses in Child Abuse and Infection Control.