moving states how?

  1. I will be graduating nursing school in December 2007 (I'm starting in the Spring). My husband is in the Navy ROTC and will be graduating then as well (assuming his classes are when they are supposed to be) and after he graduates we will be moving to South Carolina, Charleston Naval Base for his Navy Training. So my first job will have to be in SC. I will be taking the NCLEX in Kansas though. I am just curious how you switch states in nursing. Do you have to take a test, pay a fee, what? I know the NCLEX is national but I've heard rumors that some people have to take extra classes and/or pay a fee to work in a different state. A year or so after moving to SC we will be moving again to another naval base (hopefully either Kings Bay, GA or Bremerton, WA-assuming he gets on the kind of submarine he wants to be on) so we will have to do it again. Since i will be moving so much between 2008 and 2014 or so I want to know how moving effects your career and how you get new jobs in each state.

    Also a second question, i want to be a stay-at-home mom for awhile when I have my kids and they are really little. how does this effect a nursing career? and how do you get back in the game after being out of it for a few years? is it possible to work part-time and be a mom? (and have a husband in the Navy who will be gone 2-6 months at a time)?

    I am not wanting him to stay in the Navy for long unless something happens that we need him to stay in the navy for financial reasons. (I.e. its a really good paying job).

    Any advice or help for this naive new nursing student and future Navy wife?

  2. Visit jhawk07 profile page

    About jhawk07

    Joined: Jul '04; Posts: 102; Likes: 1


  3. by   Daytonite
    What you're talking about, Meg, is reciprocity. All states have a procedure in place to grant reciprocity so nurses who are licensed in another state can obtain a license to practice in their state. The way you do this is contact the board of nursing for the state you want to get another license in. You can link to the websites of most of the state Boards of Nursing from this web site (See "Links" button at the top right of this page). Most will have a procedure to follow to obtain licensure through reciprocity on their web sites. It often involves filling out an application for a license and having a transcript of your NCLEX scores sent to the state board. Some states may also want a transcript from your school of nursing. You may need to also submit fingerprints. You can keep the license from your original state of licensure if you want as long as you keep up any CEU requirements and pay the renewal fees. You have to make sure you make an address change after you move as well so your original state knows where to send your license renewal form. If you are employed by a U.S. military hospital you may not need to get a new license at all. I know at the V.A. hospitals you only need to have a license to practice in any one of the 50 states. That's the government for you.

    If you are out of nursing completely for a couple of years, a lot of hospitals won't want to hire you unless you take an RN refresher course.
  4. by   KatieBell
    !st: If you are sure you will be having your first job in SC, it is probably easiest to take the boards in Kansas, but for a SC license. This is completely possible check out how to do that on the NCLEX web site.

    "rumors" that you have heard are true. You are applying for endorsement of your license. The fee you pay is not to be able to work in a different state than the original- but a fee paid for licensing. Even if you staying in Kansas, you would need to renew your license every few years and pay a fee for that.
    Some states (NY and WA come to mind) require documented education in things like infections disease and also child and elder abuse. The BON in each state usually gives a link where you can do the class on line- for another fee of course.

    SC is a "walk through state as well- which means that on a certain day (I think in SC it is Wed only, but that might have changed) you go to the office with all appropriate documentation, and by the end of the day you have a SC license. It's pretty nice that way. You will not be expected as a new employee to assume a charge nurse role (well you shouldn't be expected to...). COmpare my career to my friend who stayed at the same job since graduation. She does night charge, heads some committees, teaches a SIDs greif sessions etc. I have seen a lot of the US, and overseas, but hold essentially a staff RN position. There are things that can travel with you though, like if you were to get certififed to instruct ACLS/PALS, BCLS, or TNCC etc. These are national certs and recognized.

    As far as the SAHM thing. If you can do it, I'd work per diem- which means that you wouldjust pick up a few shifts a month at your job- usually they require for you to stay active that you work one 12 hr shift a month. That way you can get paid a bit, and keep up on changes- and you might like to get out of the house occasionally!
    In your situation, I would advise that you get documentation of education in child abuse and elder abuse and neglect, and infectious disease. SUrely you have had these in school, and that will save you money as the ID on line for WA costs 40 dollars Its harder to get documentation after you leave school. Keep the documentation with all other stuff related to license.

    Hope this helps Best Wishes!!!!!