Desperate For Help

  1. i desperately need help with my license. it has been on the house bill suspension list for over a year, probably close to two years. all of the sudden, out of the blue, i recieved a letter from the state board of nursing saying my license was suspended because i did not pay my taxes in the year 2000. i know i did, because i never make enough money to owe, i always get all my taxes back and look very forward to it every year. so after looking everywhere and not being able to find my returns for that year, i was forced to re-file. (i almost forgot to mention that they charged me $1500 for that year, saying that if i don't file, they have the right to estimate how much i would owe, even though i have never owed before or since. so i had sent them $500 before i ever even knew about this house bill 600 stuff!) so after i filed, the irs sent me a letter saying that it was accepted and that they owe me for that year. so i call the board again to fix this, and they say they made a mistake and they meant it for the year 2001. so i re-filed again for that year, with the same result. so i call the board again and they say they need a letter from the irs saying that i am in compliance; so i call the irs and they say i owe them! not only do i not owe them, but they owe me! and i still don't have a letter of compliance. then the board goes back and forth with me first saying its state taxes, then federal, then back to state. i just don't know what to do anymore. i can't get this figured out. i can't afford a lawyer to fix it. i've lost my job, my health insurance for my entire family, my apartment, and my car. now i'm going to have to go work at a gas station for mininum wage when i was previously making $16 and hour. i have to walk there. this is just so depressing. i'm in school working on my rn and bsn, and i think i'm going to have to quit again. does anyone know what i can do to fix this?
  2. Visit jill48 profile page

    About jill48

    Joined: Oct '06; Posts: 693; Likes: 30
    home health
    Specialty: med/surg, geri, ortho, telemetry, psych


  3. by   whiskeygirl
    I had a HUGE snafu with the IRS a couple years ago, and it took me about a year to get the one issue straightened out. I was afraid I could lose everything I had worked so hard to get in the prior 4 years.
    Anyway, the IRS said I did not declare $12k worth of earnings. I am panicky every April about filing my taxes correctly.
    It is NUTS that our taxes are so difficult to complete correctly!

    There is a IRS office in your major city, walk in and get a appt to meet with a advocate in person. They can help you go over your taxes year by year and get letters from them stating exacly what you owe (hopefully nothing). I would get them for years 1999 to 2005. I would do federal first, cause state only looks at what federal has then goes off of that.
    BTW, if you can't find your taxes for a particular year (within the past 7 years) you can ask them for a copy of what you filed year by year. You may have to pay a document fee but at least you know what the IRS is assuming.

    The IRS said they didnt have my filed taxes for 2 years but finally found them. Super scary. I ended up not having to pay a dime! yipee!
    Good luck.
  4. by   rn/writer
    If you filed state taxes for the years in question, contact them and ask for copies. Every state I know of requires a copies of your federal paperwork along with the state forms. This should be fairly easy to procure.

    One other suggestion--it is not unheard of for the right hand to be totally unaware of what the left hand is doing. It might be worth a try to go through regular channels (as if you had never been contacted by the IRS) and ask for copies of your federal forms for the problem years. I wouldn't be surprised if you received them.

    Best wishes. Let us know what happens.