cracking at corners of mouth - page 3

Hi fellow nurses-- My 15-year-old otherwise healthy daughter keeps have recurring bouts of cracking at the corners of the mouth. The areas become slightly swollen and reddened. She is using... Read More

  1. by   jurbyjunk
    I get this when I'm REALLY stressed-out. I then spend about a week taking "stress tabs" of VitB and it clears up. Interesting about the folic acid. Will have to try the Zinc for the white spots.

    My fingernails "curl over" my fingertips unless I keep them really short. Anyone got any ideas for that?
    Last edit by jurbyjunk on Aug 25, '02
  2. by   mrcool
    i'm having success w/ hydrocortisone 1%. im not sure if it's a permanent solution though. ive been using it for 3 days. after the first day, it took away the soreness & chapness. im hoping after a week, i wont need to use it any more. ive been suffering with the problem for over 6 months. ive tried everything from vitamins to creams and ointments. at best, they just took care of the symptoms for a short time. ive even changed my soap, detergent, shampoo, toothpaste, dishwashing liquid... the list goes on. ive even changed my diet and it didnt help. again, the hydrocortisone 1% seems to be helping the most out of everything ive tried. hopefully, after a week i won't be needing it any more. i put on a small amount before bed and in the morning after ive showered.
  3. by   janony
    I get this twice a year or so. In my case it's a fungal infection - clears up in a few days by using SMALL amounts of OTC athletes-foot cream on the area 3x daily.

    If you do this, be careful not to lick the area. Not something you really want to be injesting.

    Of course, always a good idea to seek professional NP/MD/PA advice. :-)

  4. by   KathleenC
    I get this--it can be very painful at times. My dermatologist diagnosed it as eczema, which I have had before. I use Aclovate ointment when it is bad and acquafor moisterizer very frequently. That seems to keep it under control.
  5. by   P_RN
    Members, please remember we are not in the medical advice business. As you have seen all kinds of causes are possible for similar symptoms. The best advice is to let someone EXAMINE you and determine the cause and treatment.

    I'm going to close this now. Thanks