Carpel Tunnel anyone

  1. Can someone tell me what's the "fattest" part of the thumb called? Ya know the part that's below your thumb/above your wrist? I don't know what the heck I've done, whatever it is hurts badly....almost up to my elbow.

    Could it be carpel tunnel? It only hurts on my left hand, thank GOD I'm right handed.
  2. Visit nursejws profile page

    About nursejws

    Joined: Apr '02; Posts: 475; Likes: 4


  3. by   LilgirlRN
    sounds like tendonitis to me, I had that, hurts like hell. carpal tunnel usually involves pain plus numbness or tingling of the fingers.
  4. by   nursejws
    hmm, will naproxen help relieve the pain? i have some left over from my great for cramps too. LOL!!
  5. by   LilgirlRN
    You can try it and see
  6. by   J.Freeman
    That area is called the thenar eminence. If it was carpal tunnel you would have numbness of the first, second and part of the 3rd digit as well. It does sound like tendonitis. Whether it is from overuse or injury. Usually anti-inflammatory, rest, ice/heat therapy and exercises to stretch the area take care of it.
  7. by   Marj Griggs
    My pain in the same area was (finally) diagnosed as arthritis!
    I take naproxen for it when it gets too painful. The stuff seems to work for several days....
  8. by   teeituptom
    howdy yall
    from deep in the heart of texas

    For those kinds of aches and pains, I stand firmly with my copper bracelets with magnets in them. For me they work wonders