Can't find a job after receiving a reprimand

  1. In August of 2016 I made a med error. My first and only error. I was terminated and It was reported to the BON and as a result I received a reprimand. I have been unable to find employment. I have until November to complete the requirements of my consent agreement (ceu's and pay a fine). What can I do differently to get a job? I have been being honest during interviews with employers about what happened and they all say they feel bad that I am going thru this but then I never get a call back. I have been a LPN for almost 5 years. Before nursing, I was a home health aid since 2005. Healthcare is all I know. I've applied for non nursing jobs but no one even calls me for an interview for those jobs. Probably because I don't have the kind of experience they are looking for. I need advice on how to get my foot in the door. At this point any door will do. I have 4 children and a husband. I used to be the breadwinner and now I can't even find a job ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ
  2. Visit Perry85 profile page

    About Perry85

    Joined: Feb '17; Posts: 3


  3. by   KatieMI
    1). Short term staffing agencies working with LTCs/SNFs. If, and ONLY if you have enough assurance in yourself as a nurse and open for real challenges, though. These agencies work with the worst SNFs, most commonly geri/psych units, which only care for someone still breathing to go and do the job with no orientation and no questions asked.
    2). Agencies which provide short term private nursing coverage. At least you'll have only one patient and not 60.
    3). Ask offices of your pediatrician/PCP/whoever else you happen to encounter.
    Make sure you know your limutations, if any were imposed by Boards. If your error had to do anything at all with controlled substances, you may be legally barred from any job where you have access to such substances, whether you are supposed to administer them or not.
  4. by   caliotter3
    If you can't get hired as an LPN, maybe you could be hired as a HHA?
  5. by   Perry85
    I thought I might have some restrictions so I called and was informed that I don't have any practice restrictions. The med error did involve a controlled substance. Would the BON be required to notify me if I'm legally barred from passing narcotics? Would that be a BON thing or is it individually based on the facility?
  6. by   caliotter3
    The Board would inform you if there is a restriction. Since there is not a restriction, the employers are obviously using the "best qualified" reason for refusing to hire you. If the facility wants to restrict you on their own, that is on them, but these places are not even giving you a chance. Until someone gives you a chance to prove yourself, you are going to have to keep on trying.
  7. by   Perry85