Aging RN

  1. Can a hospital fire you after being out on approved disability & upon
    returning you are not able to perform to full capacity therefore you
    return to disability but work says your out of time & may release me
    from employment.

  2. Visit feeds4 profile page

    About feeds4

    Joined: Apr '09; Posts: 9; Likes: 2


  3. by   VivaLasViejas
    I would check with your state's bureau of labor and industries, but I fear you may be out of luck if you cannot perform the functions of the job. Employers cannot keep nonproductive people on the payroll indefinitely, they would go out of business and then nobody would have a job.

    You may also want to look into retraining in an area of nursing that doesn't require a lot of physical labor. Good luck to you!
  4. by   feeds4
    Thank you,

    I understand the business aspect of the cost, future productivity etc.
    What concerns me is the process you go through (including length of time it takes.)
    via insurance, recommendations, eventual approval for MRI,or other diagnostics
    that finally provide a Dx & recommendation Tx. But by the time this occurs you've run
    out of all accured benefits & the threat looms of lost job along with the knowledge
    Tx for repair can return you to work.
  5. by   VivaLasViejas
    I know...........the system stinks on ice, and I'm sorry.

    You have my sympathies, as I'm the same age as you and have become increasingly aware that it takes only one wrong twist, one fall, one too-heavy lift for a nurse's career to be over. Especially at our age. That's why I would advise you to consider retraining if at all possible, you are going to need to change gears and avoid the kinds of activities that got you into your current difficulties.

    Again, best of luck to you.
  6. by   feeds4
    Thank you,

    Believe me the gears that work are in motion (Me head) & all is good there.
    Just not wanting to short the family for being uninformed.

    Again my thanks for your time & prayers.

  7. by   JBudd
    I'd check with a labor attorney.
  8. by   VivaLasViejas
    That's better advice than I gave you---I think JBudd is spot on!