Nursing Students Online Learning

Published

I found this link in the Texas forum.

http://www.eline.delmar.edu/degree.htm

Anyone know anything about it?

I found this link in the Texas forum.

http://www.eline.delmar.edu/degree.htm

Anyone know anything about it?

I found out some info about the Del Mar ADN program. After discussing classes I've already taken, the admissions rep said my only problem might be Chemistry 1406. The rep described the course as a mix of organic and inorganic chemistry. It is a very difficult course for transfers to find an equivalent in their transcripts even if the student is transferring from another Texas instituion. Chem 1406 is simply not widely offered. Most students take Chem 1405 and 1407 to satisfy Del Mar's requirement. The admissions rep said it is an unfortunate circumstance because the students end up taking 8 hours of chemistry when they only needed 4.

I also found out that they have Fall, Spring and Summer entry just like Deaconess, my other option. Del Mar hopes to receive a grant in October. If they receive this grant, there will be no Spring 2005 entry because the division office will want to restructure the programs. Summer 2005 will go as planned.

Prerequisites for Del Mar School of Nursing ADN Online:

ENG 1301 Freshman Reading & Composition I (3)

ENG 1302 Freshman Reading & Compositon II (3)

PHIL 2306 Introduction to Ethics (3)

HPRS 2371 Introduction to Health Occupations* (3)

BIOL 2401 Human A & P I (4)

BIOL 2402 Human A & P II (4)

CHEM 1406 General Chemistry (4)

BIOL 2420 Microbiology (4)

PSYC 2301 General Psychology (3)

PSYC 2314 Human Growth and Development (3)

Total Prerequisite Hours = 34

*Health Care experience can allow for testing out of this course.

After that bit of discouraging news concerning the chemistry, I checked my mailbox for my Deaconess information packet. It had arrived and I tore into it. The first thing that caught my eye was NO PREREQUISITES for their ASN program! I'm really, really leaning towards Deaconess now. I have AP I & II, Micro, Comm, Chem, Eng I & II, Algebra, Intro Psy, Dev Psy. I have enough to be okay at Deaconess and to begin the nursing courses right away but not enough or the right equivalency to apply to Del Mar's program. I figure I would be ready for Del Mar's Spring 2006 class. That seems so far away. :o

I don't think I'll be able to make the 9-30-04 deadline for Deaconess' Spring 2005 class but I'm gathering my transcripts and other paperwork just in case! I'm certain of their Summer 2005 entry. I'm so excited! I've been at this nursing prereq thing for years. I've gone through a lot of personal drama and fought so much internal negative thinking. I'm glad I stuck it out and I'm able to enjoy this day of options! I'm in the process of retaking some courses to raise my GPA to be competitive for my community college's Spring 2005 traditional program. Options, options, options!

I hope this info helps someone out there! Good luck! You CAN do it!

Specializes in Child/Adolescent Mental Health.
I found out some info about the Del Mar ADN program. After discussing classes I've already taken, the admissions rep said my only problem might be Chemistry 1406. The rep described the course as a mix of organic and inorganic chemistry. It is a very difficult course for transfers to find an equivalent in their transcripts even if the student is transferring from another Texas instituion. Chem 1406 is simply not widely offered. Most students take Chem 1405 and 1407 to satisfy Del Mar's requirement. The admissions rep said it is an unfortunate circumstance because the students end up taking 8 hours of chemistry when they only needed 4.

I also found out that they have Fall, Spring and Summer entry just like Deaconess, my other option. Del Mar hopes to receive a grant in October. If they receive this grant, there will be no Spring 2005 entry because the division office will want to restructure the programs. Summer 2005 will go as planned.

Prerequisites for Del Mar School of Nursing ADN Online:

ENG 1301 Freshman Reading & Composition I (3)

ENG 1302 Freshman Reading & Compositon II (3)

PHIL 2306 Introduction to Ethics (3)

HPRS 2371 Introduction to Health Occupations* (3)

BIOL 2401 Human A & P I (4)

BIOL 2402 Human A & P II (4)

CHEM 1406 General Chemistry (4)

BIOL 2420 Microbiology (4)

PSYC 2301 General Psychology (3)

PSYC 2314 Human Growth and Development (3)

Total Prerequisite Hours = 34

*Health Care experience can allow for testing out of this course.

After that bit of discouraging news concerning the chemistry, I checked my mailbox for my Deaconess information packet. It had arrived and I tore into it. The first thing that caught my eye was NO PREREQUISITES for their ASN program! I'm really, really leaning towards Deaconess now. I have AP I & II, Micro, Comm, Chem, Eng I & II, Algebra, Intro Psy, Dev Psy. I have enough to be okay at Deaconess and to begin the nursing courses right away but not enough or the right equivalency to apply to Del Mar's program. I figure I would be ready for Del Mar's Spring 2006 class. That seems so far away. :o

I don't think I'll be able to make the 9-30-04 deadline for Deaconess' Spring 2005 class but I'm gathering my transcripts and other paperwork just in case! I'm certain of their Summer 2005 entry. I'm so excited! I've been at this nursing prereq thing for years. I've gone through a lot of personal drama and fought so much internal negative thinking. I'm glad I stuck it out and I'm able to enjoy this day of options! I'm in the process of retaking some courses to raise my GPA to be competitive for my community college's Spring 2005 traditional program. Options, options, options!

I hope this info helps someone out there! Good luck! You CAN do it!

Did you look into http://www.weber.edu for online chem. They offer 4 different chems that are geared to the "non chem student". There is one that has a mixture of biochem and chem. Check it out.

mona

I don't think I'll be able to make the 9-30-04 deadline for Deaconess' Spring 2005 class but I'm gathering my transcripts and other paperwork just in case! I'm certain of their Summer 2005 entry. I'm so excited!

NurseExplorer,

Get those transcripts moving...you can do it! In the March 2004 I had my papers together in less than 30 days... :p

I turn in my application in April for the Fall Program, was accepted and then offered to be put on the Summer waitlist, which I declined because of financial aid reasons. So you never know...

Cheri

Hi Nurse explorer -

Currently I think Del mar also has start dates in Oct and March, but you may want to verify that. There are people in the program now with me who started in March, but that may change with this grant you mentioned.

I did have to take a 2nd chemistry course (organic chem) to apply for Del Mar. I took it this summer and it was hard, but I'm glad I have it over with. This summer, I also took their health skills class that you have to have to apply. You do the book part online and then find someone in your area to help you with the skills checkoff. The skills are stuff like make a bed, take blood pressure, etc. I was already accepted to Deaconess when I found out about eLine. The main reason I went with eLine is because it is so much cheaper and more flexible. But you do have to have all of those prereqs done in advance,which may not be a option for you.

let me know if you have any more questions!

Amy

Please keep us posted on how the program is going for all of you who are in it. I am currently in a LVN program and this sounds perfect for me to continue on to my ADN. >

Hi Nurse explorer -

Currently I think Del mar also has start dates in Oct and March, but you may want to verify that. There are people in the program now with me who started in March, but that may change with this grant you mentioned.

I did have to take a 2nd chemistry course (organic chem) to apply for Del Mar. I took it this summer and it was hard, but I'm glad I have it over with. This summer, I also took their health skills class that you have to have to apply. You do the book part online and then find someone in your area to help you with the skills checkoff. The skills are stuff like make a bed, take blood pressure, etc. I was already accepted to Deaconess when I found out about eLine. The main reason I went with eLine is because it is so much cheaper and more flexible. But you do have to have all of those prereqs done in advance,which may not be a option for you.

Amy

Did you look into http://www.weber.edu for online chem. They offer 4 different chems that are geared to the "non chem student". There is one that has a mixture of biochem and chem. Check it out.

mona

I'm in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and I found out that the Fort Worth community colleges offer the exact chemistry I need.

I appreciate the link though! I'm sure it's the answer to someone's prayer. :)

NurseExplorer,

Get those transcripts moving...you can do it! In the March 2004 I had my papers together in less than 30 days... :p

I turn in my application in April for the Fall Program, was accepted and then offered to be put on the Summer waitlist, which I declined because of financial aid reasons. So you never know...

Cheri

Waitlist? For an online program? Ugh! :uhoh3: I need to call Del Mar back and ask about that.

I'm in a financial position to pay the required fees so I'm requesting all my documents right now. GO ME!

Hi Nurse explorer -

Amy

Yep. I was told the health skills class was online then the school arranges a check off in your area.

I said in another thread that I was leaning toward Deaconess but I comtemplated that $425/per credit hour price tag a little more and now I'm leaning toward Del Mar. Right now the tuition is $26/per credit hour - in state and $55/per credit hr - our of state. Not bad at all! You mentioned that Del Mar is flexible. Can you elaborate more?

I figure I bite the bullet by taking Chem from Tarrant County in the Spring then hopefully getting accepted for Del Mar's Summer entry.

I was soooo wanting to start nursing classes this Spring and that's why I was all hot for Deaconess. My wallet has sinced sat me down and lectured me on the virtues of frugality. :o

I said in another thread that I was leaning toward Deaconess but I comtemplated that $425/per credit hour price tag a little more and now I'm leaning toward Del Mar.

Oops! I read my info packet again and the tuition is actually $435/hr. :stone

Specializes in Child/Adolescent Mental Health.
Oops! I read my info packet again and the tuition is actually $435/hr. :stone

Yes, it's ridiculously expensive. I still cannot figure out how they justify charging so much for tuition. I guess they do cause they can.

mona

Through eLine, all the coursework is in modules. For example, there are like 25 modules that make up the foundations in nursing course, which is one of the classes in the first semester. Some modules are short, some are long. You get a grade for each module and then those are averaged to give you the grade for the class. You complete the modules at your own pace. I believe that all of the classes for the first semester have to be completed within 1 year. The format for all of the modules is the same and you complete them in whatever order you choose. After you complete all of the modules for the 3 classes that make up the first semester, you do the clinicals. Then you start in with the modules for the second semester. So if something comes up in your life where you can't do schoolwork for awhile you just pick back up with the modules when you can (keeping in mind that you have to finish each semester within 1 year). This may not be all that clear, but I will try to answer questions if you have more.

+ Add a Comment