"Non Moms" good NICU nurses

Specialties NICU

Published

I apologize if this question has been asked before. Do you think that generally nurses with children of their own transition better as new grads in the NICU? Do they normally have a higher comfort level that a new grad with no children?

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.

I have been responsible for overseeing the orientations of hundreds of new grads in the NICU in many different areas of the country.

No, it doesn't make a difference. There are too many other factors that play into the "who does well and who doesn't" question.

llg

I apologize if this question has been asked before. Do you think that generally nurses with children of their own transition better as new grads in the NICU? Do they normally have a higher comfort level that a new grad with no children?

Think about it, if this were true then would you do better if you had cancer? COPD? amputations?...well, you get the drift...

I don't see how they could be more comfortable. Having healthy babies is completely different than having a 1lb 24 weeker on an oscillator.

Specializes in NICU.

Actual baby care like bathing, diapering and dressing are a minor part of the job...and fairly easy to learn. Everything else won't be learned merely by having children of your own!

I agree with fergus51. Having a healthy baby IS different from having a micropreemie. My daughter was a 580g 26 wkr and although I don't have anymore kids-I know it's different than having 38-40 healthy baby. I just started this week as a NICU nurse--had done adult care for 6.5 yrs--and I can't say that being a mom will make me better than non moms. But, I can honestly say I think being a preemie mom will give me an advantage over non preemie moms with true understanding and empathy. Not that all the other nurses don't understand, but I've been there done that and it was HELL and I still have moments where I cry thinking about it all. Helping these babies and families has become my passion and I hope I don't ever forgot that. And it's just that-the passion--that makes you a good nurse.

Renee

I would be careful with that too Renee. One thing I have seen is that every family reacts differently. Had one mom freak out when one of our former premie mom RNs said she understood what the mom was going through.

I would be careful with that too Renee. One thing I have seen is that every family reacts differently. Had one mom freak out when one of our former premie mom RNs said she understood what the mom was going through.

I didn't mean to offend any "non preemie mom RNs" out there. But, I--along with many other preemie moms I know--find great comfort in talking with someone who has been there. Albeit everyone's preemie is different, it is still comforting. And you are right too--every family reacts differently. I would only offer my understanding if I felt the parent/s would be accepting. If the parents are in the unit alot and you take time with them, you get to know them and what they may or may not be comfortable with you saying to them.

That's just my 2 cents! I seriously didn't mean to come across as being "above" other non preemie mom RN's just because of my experience.

I think more times than not it helps to have someone who truely understands--even if it's nothing but to say I understand the emotions you're going through...because as I said before no 2 babies are alike. I was fortunate in that my 26 wkr was spared many complications--on vent for 10 days, no NEC, no IVH, ROP I that resolved. There are some 26 wkrs that are much sicker than that. And I will probably have a hard time figuring out how much support and understanding to give to the parents of a sicker 26 wkr....I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I just have to remember to be sincere and passionate.

Renee

No offense at all Renee, I just don't want to see you get hurt like that nurse was. She is an excellent nurse and very caring and never thought a mom who was in the same situation as her would take out her anger like that. The RN went through absolute hell with her baby and was only trying to be empathetic and assumed the mom would be comforted talking with someone who had been through the same thing. The thing is, she had only been around other premie moms who wanted to discuss their experiences with eachother because those are the moms who generally go to parent groups she went to. It never occured to her that there would be a premie mom who would get offended at her saying she understood. Family dynamics can make one parent's experience in the NICU completely different from another's even though their babies may be very similar. Course the opposite is true as well, you may find you have a lot in common with some parents whose children couldn't be more different than yours was. I just always caution people against saying "I understand" or "I know what you're going through" unless you are sure how it will be received. Often a more neutral "When I had a daughter in the NICU....." or "I have some experience with this from my daughter's premature birth and I know for me....." is better received.

It's obvious you are passionate about this area of nursing, and God knows we can always use more nurses like that!!!

Specializes in NICU, PICU,IVT,PedM/S.

The only thing that helped was the ability to feed and change diapers! We started with the bigger kids. Learning in the NICU has more to do with being a sponge!

i have been responsible for overseeing the orientations of hundreds of new grads in the nicu in many different areas of the country.

llg

really? i saw another post by a new grad asking about the first day as a new grad in the nicu and i thought it was a joke. am i to believe that the nicu has new grads monitoring preemies for subtle changes that might warrant a call or intervention or simply end up benign and need a burp? i've been in adult crit care for a while and don't feel qualified to walk in and take care of preemies, so i was dumbfounded that new grads were the best choice. just curious. maybe i am as dumb as i look.

Specializes in NICU.

really? i saw another post by a new grad asking about the first day as a new grad in the nicu and i thought it was a joke. am i to believe that the nicu has new grads monitoring preemies for subtle changes that might warrant a call or intervention or simply end up benign and need a burp? i've been in adult crit care for a while and don't feel qualified to walk in and take care of preemies, so i was dumbfounded that new grads were the best choice. just curious. maybe i am as dumb as i look.

it's actually easier to orient a new grad to the nicu because they don't have to "unlearn" anything. they are prepared to learn new things, and since nicu isn't really covered in school, they are ready for the unit to educate them. most orientation programs in nicus are a couple of months long and include both classroom time and 1 on 1 precepting on the unit. no one just walks in knowing how to deal with preemies! and an adult care nurse needs just as long an orientation as a new grad because things are quite different in nicu.

+ Add a Comment