is being a crna a boring job ???

Specialties CRNA

Published

ok, i know people probably get sick of me asking 'stupid' questions, BUT ... is anesthesia a really boring job ??? i read a post by a crna about a 9 hour case he was involved in, the only excitement was the somewhat difficult intubation and the extubation, which probably took 30 mins tops, and it makes me wonder ... is the excellent compensation going to be worth it ? will i be challenged on a daily basis or will i fall into a hum-drum "got to make the donuts" kind of job.

ps. for those of you who don't get my 'got to make the donuts' line its from the dunkin donuts commercial several years ago.

please shed some line on my somewhat darkened path

Heavens to Betsy, you do not need to fret about being bored in anesthesia.

There are places where the cases are long and uneventful. But that doesn't mean you can let your guard down, things can go from ho-hum to disaster in a nano-second.

And if your temprement doesn't match that type of practice environment, just find a different place to work. At our ambulatory surgery center you can wheel patients in and out every 15 minutes, all day long. Sometimes I miss the days when I used to do hearts, and could spend some time just sitting by the anesthesia machine!

The very reason I like anesthesia is because it is as far from boring as you can possibly get. Each and every day is a new challenge. It never gets old, routine or predictable.

But your question does point out an important issue. There is a perception that all we do is turn on a machine, and set and wait until it is time to turn it off. Even some surgeons think that is all there is to it. Anesthesia levels are dynamic, and ever changing. We are constantly monitoring the surgery activity, and making adjustments in our anesthesia level to exactly match it. We do our job so well, and make it look so easy, that nobody even realizes we are doing anything!

loisane crna

I recently overheard some nurses at work making statements that they could never do anesthesia because it was so boring. My first thought was to ask if they had ever shadowed an anesthetist. But my better mind just smiled. Those are two less applicants that I'll be up against.

I've talked to a lot of CRNA's. I've never heard one complain of boredom.

That is a great attitude Dontae. The competition is already heating up the last couple of years, since the word is out about the job opportunities and the great pay.

thank you LOISANE for your insight. i didn't think of the 'options' crna's really DO have. i guess i'm a little sceptical because i'm about to send in my application material and i want to be sure i'm doing the right thing.

DONTAE ... MICU RN is right ... what a GREAT attitude to have. i too hear alot of people mumbling about how boring being a crna would be. i don't know if it's b/c they're jealous or just ignorant. HEHE

i guess i'm about to warm these feet up so i can dive in 100%

An anesthesia doc one told me anesthesia is 99% boring and 1% sheer terror!!

:eek: OMG GEEG ... that's exactly NOT what i wanted to hear. i can see it both ways. long cases would seem to be INCREDIBLY boring how ever in a 'nano second' things can change, or the outpatient surgery center where you're wheeling them in every 15 minutes would definately keep you on your toes.

All of my friends who are in CRNA school love it.

it looks boring because you see the anesthesia provider most of the time doing nothing (beyond intubation/extubation and critical moments) ---- but in fact the anesthetist is running through his/her head scenario after scenario, is constantly running check lists through their head so as to practice PREVENTION - and provide a smooth anesthetic

TENESMA ... you make a good point. you have to be prepared should anything go wrong or not.

I just recently saw a CRNA in full performance. My wife just had a C section for our 3rd child. I have recently become interested in this line of work, so I paid closer attention to what was happening at the head of the bed.

Even with a "simple" C section, I can tell you that the CRNA was very busy. In the course of the portion that I witnessed, she must have went through 15-20 needles. She was constantly doing something and definitely not just sitting there. It was a great experience to be able to see that as it was very inspiring.

She worked in conjunction with an anesthesiologist but they seemed to get along great with each other and had a good working relationship, which was also good to see. After reading all of the CRNA vs. MDA debates, it was refreshing to see that the "Can't we all just get along" program was in full effect!

I love being bored when administering anesthesia--it means everything is going well, the patient is pain free and vital signs stable. There are many moments when I wish I was bored --when I can't intubate, extubation spasm, desaturation, surgeon who has unrealistic expectations about what I can and cannot do, etc.

Many of us have been educated to stay and look "cool" while administering anesthesia; this is not to be interpreted as bored.

Yoga

+ Add a Comment