Are there any combined BSN/CRNA programs?

Specialties CRNA

Published

I am a high school senior and I know I want to become a CRNA. I am a good student, and I am wondering if there are any CRNA schools which will guarantee me acceptance into the CRNA graduate program along with the BSN program. I have a friend who is doing this for a Physical Therapy degree, and another who is doing it to become a Pharmacist. Does anyone know about doing this to become a CRNA? Tracey

Tracey, I'm not a CRNA, so I may be wrong on this, but I do work in the O.R. It is my impression that you need a few years of nursing experience, preferably a mix of O.R. and critical care. So I would doubt that there are any direct programs like that out there. Even if there are, I think having that RN background before moving on up to CRNA is probably a good idea.

Hope this helps!

Emily

Tracee,

Although there are many combined BSN/MSN programs to become a Nurse Practitioner, I have only seen a few that segue from a BSN program directly into a MSNA program.

The programs that are combined like that are accelerated BSN / MSNA programs. Georgetown, Duke, and Columbia have accelerated programs that typically include 15 months of undergraduate work (for the BSN), 12 months of ICU work, then 24-30 months of MSNA work.

All three programs are looking at students who have received a BS or BA already. This is for students who graduated with something that wasn't necessarily conducive to going to nursing school (such as students who were pre-med, pre-pharm, pre-dent, pre-law, business, or almost anything that doesn't cover the basics necessary to get into nursing school).

Since you're a high school senior, the combined programs above won't be that helpful for you. If you decided to study something other than nursing, then you would have an opportunity to enter one of the programs upon graduating with a Bachelor's degree. If you're certain that nursing is for you, I would recommend that you do as well as you can in college and then spend 1-2 years in an ICU, and then apply to SRNA programs.

Good luck!

I know they have MSN Direct Entry Programs at Georgetown and Columbia. Check there.

I am a high school senior and I know I want to become a CRNA. I am a good student, and I am wondering if there are any CRNA schools which will guarantee me acceptance into the CRNA graduate program along with the BSN program. I have a friend who is doing this for a Physical Therapy degree, and another who is doing it to become a Pharmacist. Does anyone know about doing this to become a CRNA? Tracey

Vanderbilt University also has a direct-entry MSN program. To be eligible, you need to have a BS/BA in some area or 78 units, which include what they're considering as prerequisites. Since 78 units is approximately equivalent to 3 years at 14 units a semester, you're almost at a bachelor's degree right there.

Vandy's program is two years: the first one is spent getting done what you need to in order to sit for the NCLEX. The second year is spent in your specialty area, of which Acute Care is an option. Should you choose the Acute Care option, has an agreement with Middle Tennessee School of Anesthia where MTSA will grant qualified Vandy program applicants an early interview.

All told, you'd still be looking at a straight on 4 years undergrad and either one or two years acute care followed by 2-3 years in anesthetia school or one or two years in an MSN program, followed by anesthetia school. And there is the possibility that one or two years post-BSN won't get you in.

Thanks everybody for all the information. I guess I'll just have to hope I can get into a Masters program when the time comes. Thanks again Tracey

College is a great time in a persons life. Don't try to rush through it.

Study hard and enjoy undergrad. It will make you a better person and a better nurse.

Good luck with your plans.

Once you've completed your BSN, you get to go work for a while, meaning you get to go earn money. I hear a lot of complaints from nurses on this board about how little money they make, but compared to the field in which I have been working (field biology), they don't know how good they have it. They get a steady paycheck that's enough to live decently (the most I have ever made is $16.00/hr), benefits, potential signing bonuses and tuition reimbursements, and a skill that transfers anywhere (plus they don't have to wear suits and heels!). You want to go see Alaska? You can do it. You want to go see Florida? You can do it. You have the flexibility to translate your education and experience into different venues, from running clinical trials to representing makers of artificial joints or limbs or helping infertile couples create families. My sister is a social worker with children's services and she regularly works with nurses.

The time you spend between your undergrad and earning the right to practice anesthesia is a time to learn and earn. Welcome it.

+ Add a Comment