Want to move to Texas

U.S.A. Texas

Published

Hi everyone,

I am thinking about moving to either Houston or Dallas. I would like to work for either of the two major children's hospitals in those cities. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the starting salaries for nurses at those two hospitals for a new nurse. I would am wanting to work in NICU or PICU. I currently live in Georgia , so I was wondering how the cost of living is as well.Any help that you can give me would be great. Thanks for your help!

Pinky

Specializes in Critical Care.

I like Dallas as a city better than Houston.

But Dallas has group one in most of it's hospitals, and I wouldn't work for a group one facility (you'll have to look it up on the threads here: group one is evil. They track you and can black ball you).

So of the two, I'd pick Houston.

I live in College Station, north of Houston, and I love it here. Unfortunately, we ship our babies to houston or temple.

But the hospital across town is building a NICU.

send me an offline for more info.

~faith,

Timothy

Specializes in floor to ICU.

I live outside of Houston on the west side. We ship most of our really sick kiddo's to Texas Children's Hospital in the medical center. I have heard rumors that they are building a TCH branch on the west side off of 1-10 (major interstate). If I were interested in full-time pedi/nicu, this would be ideal cause the medical center traffic/parking can be a hassle! Sorry, don't have info on salaries.

Here's my two cents... (I'm a tried and true Fort Worth gal, so I'm a bit biased :p )

Traffic and living in Houston are terrible- it is so congested. If you could get past that, the hospitals there are great. They actually have the most magnet hospitals in the US in Houston. My brother works for a pediatric flight team and he says Texas Children's takes the cake in Texas. But again, living in Houston is a totally different story. You couldn't pay me enough.

Ahhh, Dallas. I have actually looked into their PICU internship (will graduate with BSN in December). Dallas Children's is a great hospital, and living there isn't so bad compared to Houston. North Dallas is experiencing a huge population boom right now, with a suburb called Frisco as one of the fastest growing areas in the country right now, so I imagine that may have some effect on the "market" in Dallas over the next few years.

Not sure what your draw to those two cities are, but have you looked at Children's Memorial in Austin or Cook Children's in Fort Worth? Austin and Fort Worth are Texas' two best kept secrets. Driskoll Children's in Corpus Christi is another great children's hospital.

Just my opinion-- Texas Children's probably has the best reputation, but I would do your homework on living in Houston before making the move.

I was looking at Houston and Dallas because they are top rated Children's Hospitals and also have magnet status. Dallas and Houston housing prices are comparable to where I currently live as well. Does anyone know the starting salaries for a new nurse? I am also looking for areas that have good schools, and idon't mind leaving in the burbs.

I suggest you talk to the nurse recruiters at the pediatric hospitals that you're interested in in Dallas and Houston to find out the starting rate for an RN.

I was looking at Houston and Dallas because they are top rated Children's Hospitals and also have magnet status. Dallas and Houston housing prices are comparable to where I currently live as well. Does anyone know the starting salaries for a new nurse? I am also looking for areas that have good schools, and idon't mind leaving in the burbs.

Well Plano in North Dallas has some of the best schools in the country. I really enjoyed working at Children's Hospital in Dallas.

The traffic in Dallas is also a tad better than in Houston.

Specializes in floor to ICU.
Hi everyone,

I am thinking about moving to either Houston or Dallas. I would like to work for either of the two major children's hospitals in those cities. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the starting salaries for nurses at those two hospitals for a new nurse. I would am wanting to work in NICU or PICU. I currently live in Georgia , so I was wondering how the cost of living is as well.Any help that you can give me would be great. Thanks for your help!

Pinky

found this link about the expansion of TCH to the West side of Houston.

http://www.texaschildrenshospital.org/allabout/newscenter/ArticleDisplay.aspx?aid=1300

Greetings Pinkyface,

I'm in Los Angeles, CA and have the same plans after school. I've been researching the Houston area for a while now.

Try this link:http://www.city-data.com/city/Houston-Texas.html

Feel free to contact offline @ [email protected]. I'll share what resources I've tapped.

Blessings,

Hi everyone,

Pinky

Unfortunately I only have info from 1 hospital (and I think it was a freestanding psych hospital in the outskirts of Houston); new grads make $23-25/hr plus shift diffs. I'd imagine it could be a bit more in a hospital on a med floor. The best resource to get a general idea of salaries is salary.com. I think you can even compare DFW vs Houston.

Specializes in Emergency/Trauma/Education.

Children's Medical Center (Dallas) is building a facility in Plano. Don't know the expected date of opening, but know it is "coming soon".

Medical City Children's is another pediatric option on the Dallas side of the fence. ICUs, specialty areas, & a transport team are available.

Which hospitals are in the group one? What is it like living in Plano? Plano and Dallas are the top two places that I am looking to relocate to at this time. I will be moving with my 3 small children as well, so I have to consider the schools as well. Does anybody have any advice for me? Sorry, I know that my questions are really broad right now. :confused:

+ Add a Comment