Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Programs

Nursing Students Post Graduate

Published

Is anyone in an acute care nurse practitioner program? I have mentioned on another thread that I am in a family nurse practitioner program now, but would ultimately like to work in critical care. I have worked ICU since 1991 and have had CCRN since 1993. I choose the FNP program because there are no ACNP programs close to home.

Does anyone know if there are any ACNP programs that can be done online, while doing clinicals in your home area?

Does anyone know if there are any ACNP programs that can be done online, while doing clinicals in your home area?

Here is one that I know of...

http://www.southalabama.edu/nursing/acnp.html

Cheri :)

Is anyone in an acute care nurse practitioner program? I have mentioned on another thread that I am in a family nurse practitioner program now, but would ultimately like to work in critical care. I have worked ICU since 1991 and have had CCRN since 1993. I choose the FNP program because there are no ACNP programs close to home.

Vanderbilt University has such a program.

Thanks for your responses. Those are the two progams I found when doing my own internet search.

Are you'll currently enrolled in these programs or know anyone who is? Thanks!

Specializes in Med/Surg, Geriatrics.

Glascow, I am currently in a CNS program which is about 2 hours from Atlanta where I live. It's not an online program but a lot of it was done primarily online although I think that if I had understood how much driving I was going to be doing eventually, I would have decided against it.

Anyway, I just wanted to warn you that if you do go online, make sure that your school is able to contract with the institution which you choose for clinicals and that you line up your preceptor early. There are at least 20 freakin' hospitals in the Atlanta area and you would not believe the problems I have had securing preceptors and clinical sites. That's just one thing to ask your advisors about when you are choosing a school.

Specializes in ICU, PICC Nurse, Nursing Supervisor.

Try University of Texas medical Branch at Galveston (UTMB). They have a nursing school and I know that some of there NP programs are online, but dont know which ones.

Try University of Texas medical Branch at Galveston (UTMB). They have a nursing school and I know that some of there NP programs are online, but dont know which ones.

university is online and clinicals are in your area or at the sites they can provide for you.

Hello... try this website. It has a lot of interesting info. Good luck.

http://www.allnursingschools.com/featured/nurse-practitioner.php

Thanks for the link!

The more I look into all of these programs, I am beginning to think it might be better to just go for a DNP or DrNP and specialize in critical care. I would rather get a doctorate than a post-master's in acute care.

Any thoughts, comments, or opinions about this would be appreciated.

Thanks

The more I look into all of these programs, I am beginning to think it might be better to just go for a DNP or DrNP and specialize in critical care. I would rather get a doctorate than a post-master's in acute care.

Any thoughts, comments, or opinions about this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hello, Glascow

What are the requirements of being a DrNP? Do you have to possess a MS prior of attending the DrNP program? What areas can you study?

Thank you,

Buttons

I think Columbia & University are the only 2 schools that offer the DrNP, it is fairly new. I think you must already have your MSN. I have read about so many programs I can't remember for certain!

Check out this website: http://www.allnursingschools.com/fe...ractitioner.php

for more information.

+ Add a Comment