What is a RNFA?

Specialties Operating Room

Published

HI, me again, (hopeful OR nurse). How do you become an RNFA, what are the primary responsibilities? Am I understandiing right that they close the incision sometimes??? any info is appreciated......:nurse:

Specializes in 5 yrs OR, ASU Pre-Op 2 yr. ER.

An RNFA can do the same things as a scrub or circulator, but they can also suture, handling tissue, providing exposure, using instruments, and providing hemostasis. An RNFA has taken a course (yes you do go for more schooling, it's not very long though) for this and has a certification to do these things. It also varies state to state what can and cannot be done.

Specializes in Telemetry, OR, ICU.
hi, me again, (hopeful or nurse). how do you become an rnfa, what are the primary responsibilities? am i understandiing right that they close the incision sometimes??? any info is appreciated......:nurse:

role of the rnfa

image8-sm.jpg

working interdependently with the operating room surgeon the registered nurse first assistant (rnfa) is a technically skilled nursing professional with advanced education that renders direct patient care as part of the perioperative nursing process.

collaborating with the surgeon for an optimal surgical outcome, the rnfa assists in positioning, draping, providing exposure, handling tissue, suture and maintaining hemostatis. the scope of practice for rnfas is regulated by the individual state's nurse practice act, and rnfa's must practice within these guidelines.

reference

thanks again, marie, corvette guy......

another question..what is it like to be on call? would I possibly have to work 7-3, get called in at 8, leave at 11 pm and be back for 7 am the next day? How much is usually standard pay just for being on call, not getting called in?

another question..what is it like to be on call? would I possibly have to work 7-3, get called in at 8, leave at 11 pm and be back for 7 am the next day? How much is usually standard pay just for being on call, not getting called in?

If your asking what is it like being on call as an OR RN staff nurse...

Last Friday, I worked 0645-1515. However, I was on call from 1500-2300. So, I had to stay past my regular shift until a little after 1700. I was told it was safe to go home. I clocked out, then went straight home. At 1825, I was called back, drove back to work, and clocked in around 1855. Later, I was told it was safe to go home, and I clocked out at around 2000, then drove back home. I was not called back, again that evening.

$3 just to be on call. If we get called in, we get that $2, plus our regular hourly, shift differential, weekend differential, and holiday pay with that on holidays.

It's common for me to work a 7-7 shift, have call starting at 11 that night, call ends at 7 am, and i start regular shift at 7 am.

We have weekend call every 9th weekend.

$3 just to be on call. If we get called in, we get that $2, plus our regular hourly, shift differential, weekend differential, and holiday pay with that on holidays.

It's common for me to work a 7-7 shift, have call starting at 11 that night, call ends at 7 am, and i start regular shift at 7 am.

We have weekend call every 9th weekend.

Where I work its only $2.00/hr while on call, then time & a half if called in.

Our call pay went up to 3, supposedly because of gas prices (hey i ain't arguing lol).

Our call pay went up to 3, supposedly because of gas prices (hey i ain't arguing lol).

:cool:

Specializes in GI, OR, Oncology.

Where I work, we get $6.50/hr to carry the beeper, time a half when we get called in, and a 3 hr minimum with each call back.

Where I work, we get $6.50/hr to carry the beeper, time a half when we get called in, and a 3 hr minimum with each call back.

Where do you work?

I bet ya'll have a good retention rate with those kind of call back pay figures.

In review; I get $2.00/hr beeper, time & 1/2, 2 hr min. :angryfire

Specializes in GI, OR, Oncology.

I work at a small community hospital in Northern California. You are right, there's a very low turnover rate (I've worked at this hospital for 11 years).

+ Add a Comment