Minute Clinics: are we being used?

Specialties NP

Published

I was wondering what people's thoughts were about Minute Clinics. While they employ NP's as providers, they are only able to practice within a VERY limited scope. Some have also raised the concern that pharmacies started Minute Clinics to increase revenue (as the prescriptions are filled in the pharmacy where the clinic is located). Is this ethical? Is this a good use of our advanced training as nurse practitioners? Do they like us because we're cheap(er) to employ and can prescribe?

Maybe this is the wave of the future. But I wonder how this influences the view of NP's in the community and our profession as a whole. :uhoh21:

Specializes in Maternal - Child Health.

You raise some interesting questions that are worthy of serious consideration, so please dont think my answer is flip. It certainly is not meant to be.

But no matter where you are employed, with the possible exception of a health department setting, you are there only because you generate revenue. Minute clinics in pharmacies are no exception to that rule, but that does not make them unworthy. I have catastrophic-only health coverage, with a $4000 deductible, so virtually every service my family uses is paid out of pocket. We have primary physicians whose services we utilize for physicals and management of on-going health issues, but I prefer minute clinics for minor illness because the care is much more cost-effective than our doctors' offices, and because the quality of services has been excellent, unlike some experiences in our physicians' offices when we have had to see someone other than our primary.

I am an RN with an excellent impression of advanced practice nurses. The placement of NPs in minute clinics has only enhanced my impression, not detracted from it.

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

I live in central IL and they just popped up here. I think they are fine and I would certainly utilize them. I almost interviewed for one but then decided not to at the last minute (I am an adult health only CNS) and was concerned that I would have to see kids which is out of my scope of practice. The visits are $35.00 much less than a traditional MD office visit and there is no waiting.

Now, I have absolutely excellent insurance, I pay no premiums, have no deductible and virtually have no out of pocket expenses. However, my PCP's office is absolutely jam packed from open to close. I am very healthy and the few things I would want to be seen for have been acute not chronic. So...for me, $35 is well worth it.

+ Add a Comment