Ten Leading Causes of death in the U.S. in 2002 for American Indians & Alaska Natives

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Med-Surg, Geriatric, Behavioral Health.

according to the cdc, these are the top ten causes of nai deaths:

heart disease 2.cancer 3.unintentional injuries 4.diabetes 5.stroke 6.chronic liver disease and cirrhosis 7.chronic lower respiratory disease 8.suicide 9.influenza and pneumonia 10.homicide

Specializes in Schoolnurse,homehealth,specialneeds,IHS.

Hey Thunderwolf,

Just saw your post even though its from awhile ago. I just started here so I m just catching up. Anyway looks like you research the info before you put it out there so thanks for that.

I dont necessarally agree with the CDC's stats on the top 10 leading cause of deaths for American Indians. Though I know they take into account the census from all the tribes stats they have on record and graph it out to get the answer. Speaking from a Pine Ridge perspective I would list as follows: 1. MVA's car wrecks -alcohol/drug related

2. liver failure-cirrhosis alcohol related

3.diabetes-complications made worse by alcohol

4.homicide-alcohol/drug related

5.heart disease- yup its that great old fry bread

6. suicide-alcohol/drug related

7. cancer- well I guess anyone can get that

well thats enough, of course nothing is set in stone and it doensnt really matter what order any of these are in. the real problem is alcohol and drugs which are such a huge cause of deaths out there, its hard for me to write this as I've lost too many this way. Just seemed like every time I turned around another one was gone from alcohol related wreck .

So, what is the CDC gonna do about this? ( I mean besides add up their figures)

vetnrse

Thank you for this Pine Ridge perspective....which is very important for folks here to read and understand....especially if coming out to volunteer or work there. I always value yours and others feedback on these threads....especially input such as this (first hand accounts). Again, thank you, vetnrse.

Specializes in Schoolnurse,homehealth,specialneeds,IHS.

Thanks Thunderwolf, for valid information that you put out for all . Its great to see that the facts are validated by research or experience before they are put in these threads. There's so much misinformation out there , since the educational system is lacking on teaching any real facts on American Indian history or current issues. this is the heartbreaker , for the first step to help change the situations is to be informed. And its good to see that people really want to know and help. Im grateful to you also that you seem to be on the same mission of sharing this information. And by the way, I know in most of the country, 'Native American' is the 'politically correct' term, but in actuality on the rez anyway, everyone refers to themselves as Indian or whatever tribe they are. People are just too busy trying to survive chaos and crisis every day to be worried about being politically correct.figured Id just add that in just in case anyone questions that.

Pilamaye,

vetnrse

Again, thank you, vetnrse, for your posts and information, for your support to the board and NAI forum, and for the appreciation of our shared goals.

And yes...NA is the "politically correct" term of late....and yet most of us personally refer to ourselves and each other as "Indian"....hence, NAI here on the board...a combo to sort of acknowledge both terms together....a coming together as peoples.

I personally look forward to more of your words in the forum. Your contribution is valuable and vital in keeping this forum current and relevant for our members.

Also...if you are aware of other health care providers in your area who are Indian or who are Indian knowledgeable and may wish to become members of allnurses and contribute to this forum....please refer them. The more folks we bring in and the more we contribute as a people, the more the message gets out there....our shared goal.

I also wish to acknowledge and extend the same greeting out to our current members who wish to contribute to this NAI knowledge base.

Mitakuye Oyasin

(We are all relatives)

Wolfie

pawwalk.gif

+ Add a Comment