Mission Statement of this NAI (patient) Nursing forum....Please Read

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Med-Surg, Geriatric, Behavioral Health.

first, i wish to thank our administrator, brian, who has made this forum possible. i can not say enough about him and his willingness to embrace new ideas for the betterment of our members. this new forum is but a small example of his foresight and wisdom. thank you, brian.

next, i would like to share what i call this thread's mission statement in order for us all to come to understand how this forum is envisioned regarding its use. please read carefully. it is the same rationale that i (thunderwolf) presented to admin for this forum's creation.

mission statement

why a native american indian (patient) nursing forum?

the native american indian (nai) has been one of our most under served and one of our misunderstood population groups who have been in this country since its conception. native american indians have a variety of health problems which are endemic to this population group...cardiovascular disease (hypertension, stroke, cad), obesity, diabetes, cancer, substance use, and depression. most of these health care needs are poorly met...much due to poor understanding of this population, their concepts of wellness/illness, poverty, access to adequate health care, and barriers between the indian and non-indian culture. native american indians are not only located on the rez, but also are heavily populated in and around our major cities. much of the reason why native american indians are located amidst our major cities is due to the big relocation programs of the 1950's to anglicize them into our culture, which failed terribly for most. as a result, poor health and poor access to health care have become a generational barrier for many. there have been some attempts to outreach and to engage this population...mostly via nursing schools or nursing health programs. but, many remain under served. one barrier that has always been present is the lack of cultural understanding of this population...native american indian beliefs, culture, and concepts of health and well being...which can be a significant block to a native american indian's trust of the very system that is trying to outreach and serve them.

the goal of this forum is envisioned as thus:

1) to allow discussion of native american indian beliefs, customs and practices as related to health and illness, in order to improve nursing membership's understanding as to why they exist in the first place and how they become part of the native american indian experience and identity

2) to improve understanding of this culture by nurses who serve them directly and/or indirectly in order to improve better access among them

3) to discuss openly or in relation to posted articles on alcoholism, diabetes, hypertension, obesity, depression, et cetera in order to improve the knowledge base of our nurse members

4) to provide a resource place in order to locate and access health care facilities/professionals for this population

5) to provide a forum to discuss unique issues as relevant to this population

6) to hopefully invite and/or attract other native american indians to dialogue amongst themselves and/or with our members the issues that impact them currently

7) to collate available web information and to provide a resource board to other native american indian websites in order to further dialog and to improve the knowledge base of health care providers

8) and lastly, to improve the level of trust of the health care system among native american indians that may outreach to serve them

as a moderator of this forum, i say....welcome4.gif.

i look forward to members' postings (formal and informal) and contributions of knowledge.

as a gentle reminder, please do not post full articles. post a partial article instead with its cooresponding web link/address. members can read the full article at the source.

thunderwolf

4feathers.gif

Specializes in Med-Surg, Geriatric, Behavioral Health.

About your Moderator:

I am 1/4 mix (maternal) Blackfeet Lakota and Cherokee. However, since most of our ways have been lost to us (another story thread for later), my mother and I tend to follow the Oglala Lakota. My mother has a small NAI store on her property in the hills of Ohio. Many NAI have visited her place and have spoken with her....many on way to ceremony...for it is known that she often has white prairie sage and sweet grass on board. This is how my mother and I have come back and embraced again our Indian roots. This is also how we became acquainted to our chief who adopted us later on via his organization, The Continental Confederation of Adopted Indians. His name is Leland ....Thunderhawk. The CCAI is a rainbow organization which adopts native (unaffiliated with a clan) and non-native persons who embrace the Indian way as part of their own. Leland is in his 70's...definately an elder and very respected. He is a Shawnee Turtle Clan chief who has done great work in his life toward the benefit of our Indian brothers and sisters...on and off the Rez. He is an acknowledged Indian historian by Indians and non-Indians alike in my state, across the USA, and in our nation's capital in DC. He is the one that named my mother and I in open ceremony (1998). I, Thunderwolf. My mother, Spirit Dancer. I wish to dedicate this forum in his honor...as well as to the Great Spirit, the Grandfather of us all.

Specializes in Education, FP, LNC, Forensics, ED, OB.

hello, i am siri, co-moderator with my brother, thunderwolf. i was named chi chi by my tribal elder. i am ¼ cherokee.

years ago, during my selfish time, i left my tribal teachings and led a secular and materialistic existence. i have since returned to embrace the teachings of my tribe and clan. my grandmother (maternal) was my inspiration in many areas of my life. she taught me so much during my growing years and when i decided to return, she welcomed me with open arms. it wasn't easy for i had to obey and remember as a crawling infant.

this forum, we foresee, will serve as a medical benefit long in coming for all native americans from the four corners. i personally embrace this as my way of, "giving back..."

thank you, brian, for allowing this forum to take the first breath of life.

we look forward to hearing from all.

ulllsd sq>\l (welcome nightingales) naimaidofwaterspring.jpg

+ Add a Comment