new to forum and need a little help with calculation

Nursing Students Student Assist

Published

need help with calculation problem

Specializes in Medical and general practice now LTC.

Moved your post to the Nursing student assistance forum where I am sure you will find much support, can you please post what you are needing help with. Also check out the few threads we have on calculations

Specializes in med/surg, telemetry, IV therapy, mgmt.

i had to go to the other forum where you actually posted the problem!

the physician orders zosyn (piperacillin) 3.375 grams iv q 8 hours. you have a vial of zosyn 4.5 grams. you need to add 5ml of sterile water for each gram of zosyn to reconstitute the powder. how much sterile water would you add to the vial of zosyn to reconstitute? how much of the reconstituted zosyn would you add to 50ml of ns?

do a straight ratio equivalency to determine the answer to the first question. . .how much sterile water would you add to the vial of zosyn to reconstitute?

5 ml/1 gram =
x
ml/4.5 grams, cross multiply and solve for
x

x
= 22.5
, this answer means you will add 22.5 ml of sterile water to the vial of zosyn to reconstitute the powder.

how much of the reconstituted zosyn would you add to 50ml of ns?

assume that the reconsituted vial contains 22.5 mls of solution with 4.5 gramsm of the zosyn in it since you were given no other information.

dose desired:
3.375 grams

dose on hand:
4.5 grams/22.5 ml

3.375 grams
(dose desired)
/4.5 grams
(dose on hand)
x 22.5 ml
(amount of solution the zosyn is in)
= 16.875 ml
(dose to give), rounded to
16.9ml
(most syringes aren't marked for .9 mls), or
17ml

Specializes in med/surg, telemetry, IV therapy, mgmt.

there are two sticky threads (sticky threads always appear first and at the top of the treads listed on a forum) that have to do with dosage calculations that you should check out:

Thanks so much for your help, I id come up with the same answer , just figured it out differently. Thanks again.............

+ Add a Comment