Need micro case history help!

Nursing Students Pre-Nursing

Published

I first want to say I am not looking for someone to do my work for me. My lab partner and I are working on this together and having a hard time figuring out the diagnosis based on the info given. Can someone give us any feedback here? Are we missing something?

Here it is:

Twenty seven members of a Penn. church became ill with influenza-like symptoms two weeks after returning from a trip to Hermosillo, Mexico to build a church. Twenty three of the travelers became ill either in Mexico or within three weeks of returning home. The most common symptoms were fatigue, fever of 100 degrees or higher, and sore joints and muscles. Three people had developed a rash with skin nodules, and four had a cough. Six people had abnormal chest xrays. One person required hospitalization and was in ICU for one day. Sputum sent for Gram stain and culture from all patients was normal. The church members had chartered a plane and flew directly to Hermosillo and back home. The weather had been clear, windy and warm.

We need to determine, based on the info above, if these people had Valley Fever or TB. Here's what we have come up with so far.

The region is right for Valley Fever to be the cause, but TB could also be contracted there if working with poor communities where TB would be more common. The weather is also good for Valley Fever conditions.

Fatigue, fever, and sore joints could be either TB or VF.

Skin rash with nodules is more common with VF, but TB can also produce a rash with nodules or lesions.

Cough is common for both diseases.

Abnormal chest xray is common for both diseases.

Incubation time is about the same for both diseases.

Neither of these would probably stain positive with gram staining: TB requires an acid fast stain to ID.

Culture was done-- but what kind of culture? Was the growth medium able to support both bacteria and fungi? We need more info on this. If culture was done right both of these microbes could be cultured. Also VF is usually cultured from the pustules of skin infection, not sputum (from what I could find on the internet.)

Basically we are unable to determine which disease it was because we don't feel we were given enough info that strongly identifies one over the other. No TB skin test was done. No acid fast staining was done. I am leaning towards VF just because of the region and weather conditions, and the skin nodules (I think TB has lesions more than nodules).

If I were a doctor I would NOT give any diagnosis without more testing that would give a clear answer.

Are we missing something here?? We have been working on this for hours.:bugeyes:

Specializes in med/surg, telemetry, IV therapy, mgmt.

I found your post when I was looking for case studies and care plans. Valley Fever is also known as coccidioidomycosis. This is the information about it on the CDC website:

Here is their information on TB:

Sounds like this is Valley Fever.

+ Add a Comment