Helpful books for nursing studies?

Nursing Students Pre-Nursing

Published

I have a while to go with pre requisites before I get to worry about nursing classes. Are there any books that are helpful with giving prospective nurses a head start that aren't too complicated? Thanks!

Specializes in med/surg, telemetry, IV therapy, mgmt.

I would suggest that you check your college bookstore to see what textbook they are using for fundamentals of nursing or basic nursing and start with those. Your college library should have older copies of these textbooks on the shelves if you don't want to buy your own copy. There's not a whole lot beyond that in nursing textbooks that is going to make much sense to you at this time. I can suggest two textbooks:

Professional Nursing: Concepts and Challenges by Kay Kittrell Kittrell Chitty - about $45

Interpersonal Relationships: Professional Communication Skills for Nurses by Elizabeth Nolan Arnold, Kathleen Undeman Boggs, Kathleen Underman Boggs - about $40

In the meantime, how about some inspirational and lighter reading books such as these:

Chicken Soup for the Nurse's Soul: 101 Stories to Celebrate, Honor and Inspire the Nursing Profession by Jack L. Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, LeAnn Thieman, Nancy Mitchell-Autio - about $13

Tending Lives: Nurses on the Medical Front by Echo Heron, Heron Echo - about $7

Intensive Care: The Story of a Nurse by Echo Heron - about $8

Condition Critical: The Story of a Nurse Continues by Echo Heron - about $8

Nurses: The Human Touch by Michael Brown R.N. - about $7

Hugs for Nurses: Stories, Sayings, and Scriptures to Encourage and Inspire by Philis Boultinghouse, LeAnn Weiss - about $12

Nursing Illuminations: A Book of Days by Patricia T. van Betten, Melisa Moriarty - about $19

The Courage to Laugh: Humor, Hope, and Healing in the Face of Death and Dying by Allen Klein - about $16

Beyond the Wrinkles: Inspiration from a Nursing Home by Shirlee Dudding - about $10

About nursing as a career:

Training Wheels for Nurses: What I Wish I Had Known My First 100 Days on the Job: Wisdom, Tips, and Warnings from Experienced Nurses by Barbara Arnoldussen (Editor) - about $12

Careers in Nursing by Terence J. Sacks, Thomas A. Schweich - about $16

Opportunities in Nursing Careers (Opportunities in . . . Series) by Keville Frederickson - about $14

Two just for fun:

Bleed, Blister, and Purge: A History of Medicine on the American Frontier by Volney Steele - about $15

Code Green: Money-Driven Hospitals and the Dismantling of Nursing by Dana Beth Weinberg, Foreword by Suzanne Gordon - about $18

Specializes in med/surg/tele/neuro/rehab/corrections.

I have just finished a pre-req for my CNA and the book is a very good beginners book for those interested in the Healthcare field. My class was called Heathcare Fundamentals. The title of the book is "Introduction of Health Science Technology"

Some of the Chapters are "Health Care Systems' "Careers in Health Care" "Personal Qualities of a Health Care Worker" "Medical Terminology" "Anatomoy and Physiology" "Human Growth and Development" "Geriatric Care" "Infection Control" "Vital Signs" "First Aid" and there's more. This book covers everything basic and is an easy read. I always thought that this was a great first book. I bought mine with a workbook that we had to do for homework for my class and it helped a lot. I really learned the material. But you can also buy the book separately.

I've seen several copies of this book at my local Barnes and Noble. Check it out and see if it's for you! :)

I also read all the Echo Heron Books. They are very good and very interesting to read.

Don't waste your money on "Nurse" by Peggy Anderson. Its way out of date (older) and just not that good. Also another book by a male nurse, Michael Brown? I forget the name of the book but its very boring. Found all of them in Barnes and Noble and bought them all because I'm so interested in Nursing.

Good luck whatever you decide! :wink2:

+ Add a Comment