Drexel ACE Program

U.S.A. Pennsylvania

Published

If anyone can answer some questions about the ACE program that would be great. Is it possible to do it with three (young) kids at home? I was planning to go part-time at night, but it's so tempting to try and get it done in 11 months. I have some help, and my kids will be in school? Can you miss any days? How many hours a day are classes and clinicals? Are classes and clinicals offered at different times during the day or is it one set schedule? Are there clinical hours available on the weekends? The most important question for me is about the time...how many hours a week (aside from studying) will I be in class/clinicals? Thanks so much.

I'm in the ACE program now, to graduate 1st week of September. If don't have the time to devote yourself COMPLETELY to this program, don't do it! It is too expensive and too time consuming. A lot of our classmates do the program with small kids at home, but they get A LOT of help from family and friends. Just remember that it is very difficult program and a good percentage drop out or fail out by the end (failing meaning you get less than a 76% or 85% in senior seminar). Just be prepared to be the most stressed out you have EVER been. But a positive note is that it is a very quick program. I can't believe I'm almost done! I'd recommend this program only if you are ready to make it your 4th child (your FAVORITE child) for a whole year.

As for your questions, you can miss days if you are super smart and can make up the material. IT IS A LOT OF MATERIAL EVERYDAY. Our days are 8 hour two or three days per week of class (4-6 classes every ten weeks) and 6 hour clinical days (morning or evening) two or three times per week (including Saturday). That's five days total you are spending in school and two days "off" you will spend studing your butt off. You cannot pick where you go. The hospital can be up to 1.5 hours away in Philadelphia, NJ, Bucks, Montgomery, or CHester counties. You cannot argue where you get placed or if you get a morning versus evening clinical. You can miss 1 clinical day; after that 1 clinical day if you miss a day you must pay $400 extra for each day missed. All clinical days must be made up during your break week between terms so don't miss a day unless you don't need a vacation. Our schedule is very set, very permanent. Total you will be in class/clinical about 35-40 hours per week. Seriously. It's like a job. That doesn't include studying or travel time.

I have enjoyed the program so far and have met some of my best friends! But don't be fooled into doing the program just because it has a short time frame. Consider how much time you are willing to give up spending with your family, how much you are willing to sacrifice (you can't work during the program. it's impossible!), and how much stress you can handle. I've learned a lot, but I have to warn you before you jump into something you won't be able to finish!

Bilegrama - Thank you so much for all the information. I have the help and the time but I don't want to be driving all over Eastern Pennsylvania for clinicals. I am also looking in to UMDNJ's ACE program and also possibly getting an RN Diploma from Helene Fuld which is part time. Anyway, your message has completely dissuaded me from , which is what I needed.

Good Luck - you have a lot of big exams coming up!!

-JD117

You might want to look into Jefferson's 2-Year Accelerated Pathway to the MSN. That's a little misleading; it's actually a 2-year BSN for people who already have a Bachelor's. You get 9 credits toward your MSN; hence, the name of the program. Because it's a 2-year program, it's a little slower pace than the ACE or FACT program. The only problem might Chem II. You have to have that for Jefferson, but not for . The Jefferson people told me Chem. II is non-negotiable. Either have it done before applying, or they will accept you contingently and you have to finish Chem. II before starting.

Specializes in Vents, Telemetry, Home Care, Home infusion.

Moving to PA forum for best visability

I have a couple of questions about the Ace program...to explain where I stand I'm a senior and I will be graduating in May. I have most my prereqs done...but I am taking Chem and nutrition this semester, and have Microbio and Ethics to take next semester....are my chances of getting accepted slim because these aren't completed???

I just applied online today and I am getting my transcripts and everything sent on tuesday...but I am so desperate for a little insight on my chances and even any advice for helping with the admission process. Anything would help!!!!

Specializes in NICU.

I am starting the ACE program in 3 weeks. I was accepted into the the ACE program before I had even completed Physiology, Ethics, or Microbiology on the basis that I would have them completed before the program begins. They keep on top of you about it too. I had the assistant dean of Academic records calling me once a month to check on me to make sure I was on the right path.

If ACE is the route you want to take I would say apply as long as you have a plan that you can share with them as to how you plan to complete your pre-reqs by the time you attend.

I have enjoyed the program so far and have met some of my best friends! But don't be fooled into doing the program just because it has a short time frame. Consider how much time you are willing to give up spending with your family, how much you are willing to sacrifice (you can't work during the program. it's impossible!), and how much stress you can handle. I've learned a lot, but I have to warn you before you jump into something you won't be able to finish!

is it really impossible to work???? i was thinking of keeping my current job and work at least 1 day a week. i don't have any kids so i don't really have a lot of responsibilities at home.

Specializes in NICU.

Well... nothing is impossible. But its gonna be darn near impossible. I guess it depends what your job is. I plan on working 1-2 days a MONTH. But that is because my side job is babysitting. It will be easy for me to pop in a movie after I feed the kids and play with them for an hour and do some studying, put them to bed and do some more studying until the 'rents get home. They are both doctors (who wish I whould have gone to med school) so they totally understand and don't mind that I do that.

But its going to be tough. You won't know until you try it though. We don't know you. People can only go on what they have heard and/or experienced. You won't know until you try what you can handle. You may go into and realize that you can handle to work a day a week and still keep up with your classes if you really buckle down those other days, or you may realize that you really need that day to study or rest or whatever.

I have heard taht the first semester is pretty easy and then the second quarter really hits you. So don't be too surprised if you can do the first quarter but you can't the second quarter.

But I say you never know until you try.

That's my advice!

Excuse the typos. I jsut got out of th ER earlier today and haven't slept in a while!

Best of luck! We are all here for eachother!

Hey everyone! I'm so excited I found this forum-2 weeks before I start my ACE program. Does anyone know what the dress code for classes is? Do we have to wear scrubs?

Any tips would also be appreciated. I'm scared to death considering I've never been a dedicated studier or a Type A personality.

Thanks!

Specializes in NICU.

Hi Phillygirl.

I am not one to bury myself in a book and kill myself over studying either. I DO expect to apply myself much more than usual for this program. But I do not want to kill myself and burn out. The best advice that I can pass on to you that I have gotten from others who are in/have been in the program, is to try to form a study group with people who have similar study habits to you and form a study group.

Split up readings, make/share outlines etc.

I guess we will learn as we go what works and what won't work.

I won't lie. I'm nervous as all get out. And I'm already looking at Graduate applications. Crazy huh?

Here's to an exciting year!

+ Add a Comment