Masters Level General Nurse - What is it?

U.S.A. California

Published

I started a thread about the new UCLA Masters level direct entry program. It looks like Cal State Fullerton is also starting a Masters level general nursing program in 2007. http://nursing.fullerton.edu/msnEntryLevel.aspx

It appears that other schools are starting similar programs.

These programs are for those with BS/BA in another field. After completion of the 2 year Master level program, you can take the exam for licensure. I just don't understand what is the purpose for a masters level generalist program. The UCLA counselor made it sound like the Masters level trained RNs will take on more responsibility than a BSN or ADN RN. Is this true? How can this be without a specialization? I'm in the process of applying for an accelerated BSN program. Do you think it's worth while considering the MSN programs? Since the Master level nursing is a graduate program, I think you have to take more classes than a Accelerated BSN program. If end result is to be able to sit for the RN exam, is it really worth while? Am I missing something here?

hi flyingfish2u,

i too am having somewhat of a challenge trying to figure out what to do with this situation. A few of the schools in Cal with the EntryLevel Masters degree that i have looked into do have a specialization such as administration or family nurse practitioner but you pursue it after you pass your nclex and start working. So perhaps fullerton does this as well.

I suppose if you dont have any aspirations of becoming management or going into research than a bsn would be fine. Although there are bsn nurses who are in management. Besides, many schools/universities are offering MSNs through distance education. So when you discover more what you would like to do with a masters degree you could continue working while continuing your education.

Also consider time. You will be able to work in about 1 year from starting the Accelerated BSN. With the EntryMSN you can work after about the same amount of time but you immediately start in on your grad work. So that's three years until you have a degree of anykind. That amount of time (3 years) ends up to be the same if you decided to pursue your masters degree on your own after your AccelBSN. So I wouldnt worry about it too much. It just depends on what your interests are and what works best for your situation.

Maybe someone else has some experience in this area and they can shed more light on it.

Well, I was actually just admitted into the UCLA program as well as an acc BSN program and was kind of grappling with what you described above....I decided to go with UCLA and my rationale is this...the MECN prgram is 20 months as opposed to the general 15-18 months for the acc BSN programs I've seen out there so we're not even losing that much in earning potential in that interim period. For 3-5 extra months of work I will have a Masters as opposed to a Bachelors. Although the Masters entry level can't theoretically give you much more than the Bacherlor's entry level, the curriculum at UCLA is much more holistic in its approach to educating nurses (understanding that the patient of today, ie-in a more HMO, discharge focused health care system, differs from what the patients have traditionally been like, ie-patient comes into the hospital for a 3-4 day stay). The curriculum itself prepares the students to provide care at individual, unit and community levels. I'm not sure whether this differes drastically from what's out there in other BSN programs.

My long term goal is to become an NP so one of my concerns was def based on how the MSN would jive with that pursuit. To pursue that anyway you need an advanced practice certificate (which you would have to get with a Bachelor's anyway) so its seems to me, at least time wise, I'm not that much worse off with an MSN.

SO what it seems to boil to for me is this, for that extra 5-6 months of work I'll have a Masters that alhtough can't help me get a job at a higher level of expertise, I'll be prepared to move forward within the field (at least theoretically).

I dunno though.... =)

I'm curious, which accelerated BSN program did you get in? I know of only two acc BSN program in southern california. Mount St. Mary's college which is 12 months and CSU Long Beach which is 16 months. CSULB is now a BSN/MSN program. Anyway, I thought about applying to UCLA, but I chose against it for now after speaking with the admission counselor. I felt like the program was a too new and too disorganized. I love the school. I went there for undergrad and grad. I still remember when they got rid of the nursing program and only recently brought it back. I will wait and see what the feedback is from the first class.

I got into a 16-month acc BSN program at NYU (I'm currently living in New York-I originally moved here for grad school). The program is just outrageous in price though so it seemed almost foolish to pursue a degree there (especially a professional degree at that). I'm originally from SoCal so I'm managing to get in state tuition on an exemption.

I'm a little nervous about the newness of the program as well. Interestingly though, when I went to the admissions info session in Feb I just vibed with the way they described the program. I've spent a pretty intense year researching programs and I'm just going with instincts about the whole lot. It seems like the whole industry is shifting towards educating nurses on a more intensive level and I'm hopinh my gamble pays off.

I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed!

For students with a previous degree, it's a pretty good idea.

Those that have graduate school ambitions can pursue the entry level Master's. After a few years of nursing practice, the student can add a post Master's certificate in a specialty area that interests them.

It is also a boon for folks with a degree who find that getting financial aid for a second undergrad degree is impossible.

Some of the new entry level Master's programs are trying to mesh with the new Clinical Nurse Leader designation and goals of AACN.

FAQ about the CNL

A new nurse whether diploma or Master's trained is only as good as the efoirt they put in the program and the training they receive. They will all need some help and guidance.

IMO, If your past education opens an avenue or opportunity for you, take it. That is the whole goal of education, to open doors.

~~~

Specializes in Critical Care.

If you already have a BA/BS in another field, it is better off to get into the accelerated MSN track. For just an additional few months (a semester and a summer usually), you'll get a Master's Degree in Nursing. You'll be able to sit for the boards at the same time as your colleagues in the baccaulareate tracks. Sometimes, it may even be cheaper. Good Luck...

+ Add a Comment