HEY GOP: Attacking Hillary Isn't a Health Plan

Nurses Activism

Published

Specializes in community health.

when even [http://www.amconmag.com/2007/2007_10_22/cover.html a magazine called "the american conservative" counsels] the republican presidential candidates that they can't live on hillary-hate alone, something is happening.

as nurses fighting for guaranteed healthcare, the california nurses association/national nurses organizing committee tracks this trend in terms of health policy. [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rose-ann-demoro/memo-to-the-gop-stopping_b_69472.html i will let our executive director rose ann demoro sum it up: attacking hillary clinton is not a health plan.] you can click through to the full article, but here's a taste:

apparently taking their leadership from karl rove who warned that the republican candidates must focus on healthcare because the issue is "on the mind of a lot of swing voters," the republican candidates for president have now latched on to healthcare.

but in the true spirit of their mentor rove, it appears they think our biggest healthcare crisis is the potential election of hillary clinton.

hearing their fulminations about "socialized medicine" and "hillary care" almost makes you wonder what they've been drinking.

in a new report, george lakoff's rockridge institute aptly describes the approach of clinton and the other top tier democrats as the "neoliberal mode of thought" in its dubious reliance on regulation and technocratic changes to an industry that needs to be dismantled, not tweaked.

but at least clinton and company are talking about comprehensive reform. the republican candidates' healthcare policies recall the words attributed, probably erroneously, to marie antoinette whose infamous solution to mass shortages of bread was "let them eat cake."

...cross-posted at the [http://www.guaranteedhealthcare.org/blog national nurses organizing committee/california nurses association's] breakroom blog, as we organize to make 2007 the year of guaranteed healthcare on the single-payer model.

Mitt Romney had a plan. Remember?

Was it really all that different from Hillary Clinton's?

Health Care for Everyone?

We've found a way.

BY MITT ROMNEY

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110008213

This woman isn't even qualified to be a CNA (no offense to CNAs) but people are so willing to turn over 1/7th of the US economy to her? The only record Hillary has on health care is a FAILED policy that was soundly defeated in the early 90's. If you want a good health plan in this country the you get an education get a good job and you will have health care.

Real People DENIED Real Healthcare: Cynthia Campbell, RN

I would like to know more about her situation why was she getting a short term policy? Why wasn't she covered through the hospital? Why didn't she have insurance through her husband's employer? All legitimate questions to ask? I find more to this story than meets the eye? Was she a traveling nurse who didn't take insurance that was offered?

Real People DENIED Real Healthcare: Cynthia Campbell, RN

I don't think anyone should be denied healthcare. Especially a nurse who has worked for 30 years.

I think it should be OK to change jobs and still have access to healthcare.

I think it should be OK to move to another state and still have access to healthcare.

I think a man should be able to retire and his wife change jobs and still have access to healthcare.

I think they were being responsible by purchasing a policy.

But their story is published. Yes she was a traveler, then per diem. Shouldn't everyone have access to healthcare?

WHO should be denied access to healthcare?

A recovery room RN for some 30 years, mainly in the South and in Southern California, Campbell moved to the San Francisco Bay Area in August 2005 with her husband Allen, a semi-retired former commercial and private airplane pilot. She worked first as a traveler, then became per diem at University of California San Francisco Medical Center while she waited for a full-time, permanent position to open up. They settled into a cozy apartment in the city's Sunset district, close to her work.

Allen, 68, gets health insurance through military disability and Medicare, and they bought Campbell a short-term policy through Blue Cross of California to tie her over until she went on staff at UCSF. The job opening, however, proved elusive. Before they knew it, it was June 2006 and her insurance was going to soon expire.

Campbell called up Blue Cross and asked about extending her policy.

To her surprise, the agent told her that if she had used the policy even once, they would not extend. Yes, she had used the insurance, in a manner of speaking. She had gone to an urgent care clinic that May

about a urinary tract infection, once to get diagnosed and again to correct her prescription for antibiotic medication. But that was it.

Her whole life, Campbell says she had never had any major medical problems. Because the deductible on the policy was so high, she had paid for the visits out of her own pocket. Still, she had shown her card. So now, no insurance.

"They weren't even out a penny and they wouldn't let me extend the policy," said Campbell. Dressed in khakis, a comfortable cardigan, and a magenta scarf tied sideways around her nearly bald head, the

normally calm Campbell actually raises her voice. "It's like going into a restaurant, and paying for a meal, but if you ever dare expect them to serve it, you're never going to be allowed back in again."

With the help of her husband, Campbell found an insurance broker who set her up with yet another short-term policy, this time through Blue Shield. Still anticipating that Campbell would soon go on staff at UCSF, they prepaid only one year's worth of premiums.

On Friday July 21, 2006, Campbell felt out of sorts as she finished her shift. Over that weekend, she thought she had bad indigestion. But then her abdomen started swelling and distending. It ballooned larger and larger until Allen took her to the emergency room on Monday.

There, they learned some shocking news: Campbell had a cancerous, stage IV tumor in her belly called rhabdomysarcoma. It was one of the biggest ones the doctor had ever seen. Later, doctors would

discover that she also had adenosarcoma. The survival rate for this diagnosis is lower than 20 percent.

"Learning you have cancer is such an overwhelming piece of information to process," said Campbell. "You can't think."

Within a week, Campbell had surgery to remove the tumor and then started a series of grueling chemotherapy treatments. She made it to number seven before the doctors called off the chemo because

they weren't sure if she'd live through it.

"They said I had fatal fatigue," said Campbell. "I was so tired. I felt like a million cells were saying, 'I'm dying, I'm dying.' Sometimes when I exhaled, I thought I would just osmose into the air."

If the diagnosis and treatment weren't devastating enough, the couple received more disturbing news: the hospital wasn't getting paid because the insurance company claimed Campbell wasn't insured. Reams of bills and statements started arriving in their mailbox. "I quit looking when they hit $800,000," said Allen.

Allen wasn't about to burden his wife with this paperwork nightmare, so he tried to sort it out himself. The nine-month struggle to get Blue Shield to pay UCSF, and for the various parties to cooperate with each other, sorely tested the limits of Allen's patience and sanity.

He learned that the hospital typically sent documentation and bills to Blue Shield's big claims processing offices in Chino, Calif. But for some reason, Campbell's paperwork needed to be processed through Beattyville, Ky. Chino would reject the hospital's claims, saying Campbell had no policy. But no matter how many times Allen called, the hospital would keep billing Chino. To make matters worse, claims originated from five different divisions of the hospital and, according to Allen, they didn't share information or talk to one another.

Meanwhile, Blue Shield's Chino and Beattyville offices seemed incapable of coordinating claims processing on their end. Acting as a liaison between the hospital and Blue Shield, Allen felt almost like an employee of both. "It took 38 calls to the hospital just to get them to start sending things to Beattyville," said Allen.

"Then I'd talk to Beattyville and they'd say, 'The hospital needs to send us A, B, C, D, E, and F. And the doctor has not sent these two forms.' Then the hospital would argue they did send it, but I'd have to convince them to send it again. I was struggling so hard just to help the hospital get paid. And all this started days after Cynthia was in the hospital."

Allen says that only in mid April has Blue Shield started to pay some of the claims. Since July 2006,

though, the couple says they have spent from$1000 to $3000 per month out of their own pocket for

Campbell's medication and drugs that insurance won't cover. One of her anti-nausea medications costs $116 a pill. They've drained their savings, and without Campbell's salary, have little money coming

in. To this day, Allen says he still receives large packages of paperwork returned from Chino.

And the last indignity? Campbell's short-term policy is set to expire July 19. Blue Shield has told their insurance agent that they will not cover her past her current policy. Though the cancers seem to be held at bay for the time being, she requires CAT scans every two to three months.

There's also always the very real possibility that the cancers will come back and that she will need further treatment and hospitalization. Allen is talking to social workers and desperately researching any and

every option: Social Security disability, Medi-Cal, any other insurance.

So far, nothing has panned out.

"We feel like somehow we're street people," says Allen. "All of our lives, we've paid into the system. This is a huge betrayal. Why are we in this position? Where do we go? Where do we turn? I really do not know what we're going to do."

All this stress might have broken a weaker couple. But Campbell and her husband are no ordinary pair. Married 12 years now, their short courtship started when a sleepless Campbell tuned into a late night

TV broadcast about humanitarian air missions to rescue refugees from war-torn Africa. The program

ran just an audio interview with the pilot, Allen, and Campbell was drawn to his voice. She spent months tracking him down and even donated money to his charity, Air Care International. They soon agreed to meet, and instantly recognized each other at the airport.

"A few months after we met, I told him I would marry him," said Campbell with a big grin on her face. And they did. "I was 40 at the time, and had given up on the thought that I'd ever meet someone I could ever marry. And as soon as you think that, Allen comes into my life."

They each describe the other as their best friend, and this ordeal has clearly brought them even closer together and united in wanting to share their story in hopes that public policy will change to provide

insurance and real healthcare access to everyone, no matter what. "The tragedy of the situation is that the healthcare mess is totally preventable," said Campbell. "It's a product of greed, not a product of

lack of resources. There's this middleman mentality that you've got to get profit to the insurance company. There's no logic. It's obscene that in this, the richest country in the world, we can't take care of our

own people." _

http://www.calnurses.org/publications/registered-nurse-magazine/rn_mag_may_2007.pdf

NOW how about returning to the topic of this thread?

Why don't the candidates explain their healthcare plan? Or tell us why there is no need for them to have one?

I posted the plan Mitt Romney enacted in Massachusetts. Mayor Giuliani mentioned his plan.

Here is Giuliani's Health-Care Plan:

Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, moving his presidential campaign beyond its signature issue of national security, is preparing to lay out a health-care plan that would mark a significant change in how health insurance is paid for in the U.S.

Giuliani, currently leading opinion polls for the 2008 Republican nomination, wants to move tens of millions of people from employer-based health insurance to the individual market as a way of giving people more coverage choices. It is an idea he alluded to in Tuesday's Republican debate in Manchester, N.H., and later expanded on in an interview.

The principles Giuliani identified for health care mirror President Bush's call for an "ownership society" in which the power of the free market could eventually shore up health and retirement security programs alike....

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2007/06/07/giulianis-health-care-plan/

Everyone does have access to health care. You can change jobs and have access to health care.Yuo can quit your job and have access to your former healthcare its called COBRA. Unfortunately what people want is access to health car without footing the bill for it. Because someone is a nurse does not entitle them to anything. When you work per diem you take the big bucks and forgo the benefits. This woman gambled and lost. It's unfortunate that she has cancer but then again Life isn't fair to most people at some point in their lives.

I don't think anyone should be denied healthcare. Especially a nurse who has worked for 30 years.

I think it should be OK to change jobs and still have access to healthcare.

I think it should be OK to move to another state and still have access to healthcare.

I think a man should be able to retire and his wife change jobs and still have access to healthcare.

I think they were being responsible by purchasing a policy.

But their story is published. Yes she was a traveler, then per diem. Shouldn't everyone have access to healthcare?

WHO should be denied access to healthcare?

Everyone does have access to health care. You can change jobs and have access to health care.Yuo can quit your job and have access to your former healthcare its called COBRA. Unfortunately what people want is access to health car without footing the bill for it. Because someone is a nurse does not entitle them to anything. When you work per diem you take the big bucks and forgo the benefits. This woman gambled and lost. It's unfortunate that she has cancer but then again Life isn't fair to most people at some point in their lives.

Very good points.

I'm getting COBRA right now . . . .left one job and have a new job where my bene's don't start until November.

We certainly have many options.

steph

Regarding the topic . . .I agree that attacking your opponent is not the thing to do.

Democrats ran on "Hate Bush" and didn't put forth many ideas of their own.

I think pointing out where Hillary is promoting socialized healthcare is not attacking though, it is true. And I have heard and read about some of the Republicans' health care reform ideas.

I don't want to hear, from either party, just an attack. I want to hear what their plans are.

steph

She was paying for insurance. After Blue Cross refused to renew she purchased a Blue Shiels policy.

I think no matter what happens to you you deserve health insurance. If, God forbid, you suffer and accident or illness and your COBRA runs out after 18 months you still deserve healthcare.

Criticism without suggestions is unproductive. Is this non-system really the best we can do?

So why can't we discuss the topic of this thread?

What do you think of the plans I posted for Romney & Giuliani?

Here is another.

Lowering the Cost of Health Care by Ron Paul

As a medical doctor, I've seen first-hand how bureaucratic red tape interferes with the doctor-patient relationship and drives costs higher.

The current system of third-party payers takes decision-making away from doctors, leaving patients feeling rushed and worsening the quality of care. Yet health insurance premiums and drug costs keep rising. Clearly a new approach is needed. Congress needs to craft innovative legislation that makes health care more affordable without raising taxes or increasing the deficit. It also needs to repeal bad laws that keep health care costs higher than necessary....

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul339.html

More mindless pandering drivel from politicians. Anyone who advocates government controlled healthcare be it a Republican or Democrat is a fool. Government cannot solve a "so called" health care crisis. There is no crisis for health care in this country except from the influx of illegal aliens into the health care market. Get rid of the illegal aliens and that will solve the majority of problems with the current health care "crisis".

She was paying for insurance. After Blue Cross refused to renew she purchased a Blue Shiels policy.

I think no matter what happens to you you deserve health insurance. If, God forbid, you suffer and accident or illness and your COBRA runs out after 18 months you still deserve healthcare.

Criticism without suggestions is unproductive. Is this non-system really the best we can do?

So why can't we discuss the topic of this thread?

What do you think of the plans I posted for Romney & Giuliani?

Here is another.

+ Add a Comment