I'm sure that it's probably waaaay to early for this thread, but I figured what the heck. I have all of my application documents just about ready for submission. Just need to add the self addressed postcard and my check.
My main concern though is my Eng I credit. I already have a BS in Biology. The school I attended rewarded me with the Eng I credit based solely on my ACT score. I was originally going to apply for the Spring 2009 class and as I was reviewing my transcripts, I notice that HCC had not given me credit for Eng I. I contacted the Dean of Student Services at the DM campus about it and he referred me to the Asst Dean. From there it pretty much got ugly. My transcript originally had it listed as CLEP credit but I didn't have any CLEP scores of course. I had transferred several times and was given credit every where I went with no questions asked. Not to mention that I actually already have a BS so you would think that I wouldn't have to worry about any of the general education courses. I told all of this to the Asst Dean and the reply that I got was that the original "college awarded the credit in an unorthodox manner and that it wasn't her fault that HCC had higher standards than the other institutions that I had transferred to." Her email pretty much told me to f off in a not so nice way. It didn't help that I gave her a piece of my mind after receiving such a response. *sigh*
I managed to get my original transcript updated so that it no longer says CLEP. It says "ACT score 28" instead. I had an updated copy sent to HCC along with a letter explaining the change, however HCC has yet to update anything. That was last August. Sooooooo, I will be trotting my happy butt in to see an advisor on Friday and praying like heck that they make the change and accept the credit. Because I already have my BS, I absolutely refuse to go back and take Eng I. I'm not happy at all with HCC's administrative staff, but because I can't find another true evening nursing program that doesn't cost an arm and a leg....I'm pretty much stuck with them. I can't afford to quit my job and go to school full time...if I could I would be doing USF's accelerated program instead.
Wish me luck!!!
Mar 3, '10
. And is there any chance you could take this course over the fall or the summer? I waited for two years before starting on the pre-nursing/HCC journey because of administrative b.s. from the school where I got my Bachelor's from and finally realized that the battle I was fighting wasn't worth delaying my true goals (they wanted to hold my transcript for $500 that they claimed I owed, which I didn't truly owe). I sucked it up and will hopefully be starting the program this fall. But instead of graduating in 2010, I'll be graduating in 2012 b/c I chose to fight the battle based off of principle instead of realizing that I was really losing out by continuing to fight. If they don't budge perhaps you should consider taking the course. The longer the fight, the further away you are from getting that RN behind your name. Also, I'm sure you'd be able to pull an A in it which would be beneficial as well since, according to the ladies on the Fall 2010 thread, it is not advantageous to have tested out of ENC I since they don't give you a full three credits for the course when calculating your GPA for entry into the program. Now if you have a 4.0 then the last statement is irrelevant, lol.
Last edit by tebyrd0020 on Mar 3, '10