Returning to Nursing....

  1. I have kept my license activate in NY but haven't been working as a nurse in years. I want to get back into nursing and I am looking at various refresher courses. I would appreciate any advice to get started. Thanks
  2. Visit KAP profile page

    About KAP

    Joined: Jun '04; Posts: 2


  3. by   IamRN
    Just came back myself after being away for four years. I didn't take a refresher course, but did receive an extensive orientation. My NM was aware of my situation and was more than accomodating. Maybe you can find such an employer???

    OTOH, I believe that certain states require you take a refresher course depending on the number of years you have been away.

    Good luck! It didn't take very long before I felt "at home" again.
  4. by   webbiedebbie
    I worked in my specialty for about 10 years. Then, I took a 5 year break. One hospital where I live wanted me to take a refresher course and work their Med/Surg for one year.

    Another hospital where I used to work took me right in. It didn't take me long to catch up.

    As the prior poster said, check out the different hospitals in your area. Good luck and keep us posted!
  5. by   purplemania
    I can address what Texas requires. An RN whose license has been inactive 4 years or less has to complete a form for the BON and take whatever refresher courses they require. If inactive >4 years, they can get a 6 mo temp. permit, plus take the required refresher courses. There are 15 modules and the total pkg costs $1,250 (2003 prices). Go to for more info. Your BON should be able to give you information about compliance. Also, the education dept. or someone appointed/approved by your BON can check off skills competencies. Good luck and welcome back!

Must Read Topics