Jump to content

DEA licenses in more than one state?


Hey everyone,

If you work in more than one state as a nurse practitioner, do you have to get a DEA license for each state that you work in? Does anyone know? Thanks in advance.

DizzyJ DHSc PA-C

Specializes in DHSc, PA-C.

Yes, if you are working in both states then you need two DEA numbers. If you say work in one state for the first 6 months and then work in the other state for the second 6 months, then you could change the address for DEA and transfer to different state. If working back and forth between the two states you need two.

BCgradnurse, MSN, RN, NP

Specializes in allergy and asthma, urgent care. Has 12 years experience.

Yes-I work in 2 different states and have a DEA number for each position.

Yes. I really wish they would make it so that you get one, national DEA number, but nope. You have to get a number for each state.

NPvampire, MSN, RN, APRN

Specializes in Psych, Geriatrics. Has 11 years experience.

I wanted to add - the type of DEA that you can get by working for your state/public health, etc (the "free" one) cannot be used in any other setting or employer, same state or not.