Canadian Critical Care Nurse moving to California


  • Specializes in Critical Care PACU/ICU. Has 7 years experience.

Hi everyone!

I am a critical care nurse in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada at a Level 1 Trauma Center. My husband just moved to California to start medical school. I am hoping to obtain a license in California but not totally sure how to do so. I'm hoping to work in the South Bay area.

We are in the process of obtaining my US Green card and will apply as soon as I have my SSN in hand. I have completed the NCLEX. I've looked into CBRN, and it looks like I have to complete Licensure by Endorsement. I'm just not sure if I will need a CGFNS Visa screen or CES Professional Report. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!

Editorial Team / Admin

Silverdragon102, BSN

1 Article; 39,477 Posts

Specializes in Medical and general practice now LTC. Has 35 years experience.

Moved to the Nurse Registration forum.

As per the BRN website

Additionally, for international applicants:

Send the "Breakdown of Educational Program for International Nursing Programs" to your school with the "Request for Transcript" form. If your transcript is not in English, provide the "Certified English Translation" form to your certified translator. (Pages 16-17)

Submit a copy of the license or diploma that allows you to practice professional nursing in the country where you were educated. Also provide copies of your certificates for midwifery and psychiatric nursing, if applicable.

See CA RN Licensure Qualifications for Graduates of International Nursing Program for additional details.

Be aware California is one of the most difficult states to register with especially if trained outside the US