Blown Vein

Updated:   Published

I want to ask something over IV cannulation. If you've blown a vein, but you go over the breaking point and you get a good flashback and it no longer swells up... What would you do? Better to remove? Are you in the vein?

Wuzzie

4,895 Posts

Depends on what I'm using it for and where it blew. If it blew immediately on insertion and I was able to get the tip of the catheter well past AND it had a good return AND flushed well AND I wasn't giving a vesicant or blood product I would go ahead use it but would watch it closely. 

Angelasc

4 Posts

Thaaanks,! I  had given a new one. But good to know, if it happens again 🙂

Tweety, BSN, RN

32,599 Posts

Specializes in Med-Surg, Trauma, Ortho, Neuro, Cardiac. Has 31 years experience.

I'm no expert but have 30 years experience and when I blow a vein I quit and pull it out then and there.  Are we supposed to keep trying and get past it?

Wuzzie

4,895 Posts

Tweety said:

I'm no expert but have 30 years experience and when I blow a vein I quit and pull it out then and there.  Are we supposed to keep trying and get past it?

Sometimes you don't have a choice. Plus with your 30 years you know there's blowing and then there's blowing. I certainly wouldn't advocate trying to get past a giant hematoma. 

Tweety, BSN, RN

32,599 Posts

Specializes in Med-Surg, Trauma, Ortho, Neuro, Cardiac. Has 31 years experience.
Wuzzie said:

Sometimes you don't have a choice. Plus with your 30 years you know there's blowing and then there's blowing. I certainly wouldn't advocate trying to get past a giant hematoma. 

Fair enough and I can see in the scenario described above that it's a good IV and I would use it.   I do understand there's blowing and there's blowing.  Nine out of ten times I don't know I've blown until I flush and it's an obvious stop, but also if I see it blow I stop and don't try to get past it, maybe I should.

Wuzzie

4,895 Posts

Tweety said:

Nine out of ten times I don't know I've blown until I flush and it's an obvious stop, but also if I see it blow I stop and don't try to get past it, maybe I should.

I probably should clarify. If I fully seat an IV and flush and it's clearly blown at the terminus of the catheter then I do not try to make it work. However, we've all had the experience where you insert and get a tiny bruise at the insertion site but are able to reposition and get the tip of the catheter well-past the bruised area, have a positive blood return and there is no swelling or pain upon flushing. Although technically a "blow"  it really isn't a reason to pull the catheter and start over.