As an LVN in CA, can I submit a credential and sit for NCLEX-RN?

Dear Nurse Beth Advice Column - The following letter submitted anonymously in search for answers. Join the conversation! Nurses Nurse Beth Nursing Q/A


California has two options to get an RN license. As a vocational nurse educated and licensed in the state of California who's also recently completed and submitted credentialing to the BVNPT for review, can I approach the BRN about sitting for the NCLEX-RN? Is there a possibility of having passed the NCLEX-PN plus adding the credential is sufficient for RN licensure?

Share this post

Specializes in Tele, ICU, Staff Development.

It is not sufficient for RN licensure.

There is an LVN to RN 30-unit option in CA. The 30-unit option (non-graduate) program is a three- to four-semester program for applicants with a valid California Vocational Nurse license who wish to quickly meet the requirements to take the NCLEX-RN examination as a non-graduate.

However, a degree is not awarded. Most other states do not recognize it and will not issue RN licenses. You will likely have difficulty transferring to another state or applying to a college or university for an advanced degree. 

It's recommended to enroll in an ADN or BSN program instead.

Best wishes,

Nurse Beth