Reciprocity between AZ and NV?

  1. I have searched both the NV and AZ state board sites and can't find the answer to this simple question.

    If I were to obtain an AZ license, would I be allowed to practice in NV as an RN w/o having to go applying for certification? A friend at school mentioned this, and I'd like to confirm if it's true.

    I'd rather just sit for one test and not have to worry about applying to work in both states if that's possible.
  2. Visit jayrelic profile page

    About jayrelic

    Joined: Jan '05; Posts: 71


  3. by   suzanne4
    Once you pass NCLEX, you never have to take it again. You can get a license in a compact state, but if you give up your apt or house there and move to the next state, then the compact license part becomes null and void, the license would only be honored in the original state.

    All you need to do is apply for endorsement to the second state. Quite simple to do. Unless you meet the tax home requirements, then that is the only option that you have.
  4. by   jayrelic
    Thanks but I was under the impression that there was a way where if I were to hold an AZ license and wanted to work in NV simultaneously, I wouldn't have to apply for 'endorsement', but instead was simply able to work in NV as well. I plan on living on the border of AZ and NV, therefore all of my silly questions.
  5. by   suzanne4
    Not sure if Nevada is a compact state, if it is, you are all set. But if you move from where you hold that initial license to another state, then the compact license becomes null and void.

    But having a license in several states at the same time is not an issue, there are no more tests to take, only an application fee to pay and completion of a few papers. No exams or anything.

    If you are going to live on the border, look into a CA license as well. LA is only a couple of hours from Las Vegas. Then you get a choice of everywhere to work.

    Good luck.
  6. by   jayrelic
    Thanks Suzanne. I think I'm all set. I'm going to sit for the AZ license in May and work in AZ, with the hope of picking up hours in NV as well.
  7. by   Undecided7
    NV does NOT have a "compact" with any other state. Of course, you can apply for endorcement (you don't have to take NCLEX again), but it's not just automatic and yes, as with everything, there will be a fee.