Are NP's eligible for H1b?


Hi, I am an international student here in the US hoping to do a DEMSN in Psych/Mental Health (Pediatric/Adolescent). I have found an amazing Family Therapy Center that works with emotionally/developmentally/psychologically troubled children and have been talking with them about career prospects. They already have a couple of US citizen NPs working for them in the specialty that I want to do, and they are keen to see if after I am qualified (in a few years yet) I would be eligible for either a H1b or EB2. As it's so far down the road, they don't want the expense of talking to an immigration lawyer yet. However, once I am on the NP program they are eager to have me do CPT with them if possible.

So, my question is would I be eligible for either the H1b (as NP is a job which is specialist?) or EB2 (as NP requires a Masters as it's entry point?)?

It's a hugely exciting opportunity as this is a niche area that interests me greatly and is so rewarding. :redpinkhe

Editorial Team / Admin

Silverdragon102, BSN

1 Article; 39,477 Posts

Specializes in Medical and general practice now LTC. Has 35 years experience.

You should meet EB2 requirements and depending on where you was born will depend on how quick you will be processed. I think you are better going the EB2 route to be honest as long as your employer is willing to petition you. Much better than a H1b

Better to talk to a immigration lawyer that specialises in nurses if in any doubt

Ginger's Mom, MSN, RN

1 Article; 3,181 Posts

Has 41 years experience.

In my area graduates of a NP have difficulty finding there first position.


16 Posts

I'm hoping that if I get onto the program, after my first year I'll be able to do CPT with this Center and then OPT once I graduate, and if all goes well then the EB2 might be the way to go. It's the perfect job for me and I am so excited :) and even if it doesn't work out, at least now I know there is a job spec out there that meets my needs and desires for my chosen career! If I don't get this one, I will just keep looking elsewhere. It would be awesome for everything to fall into place, but I know Murphy and His Laws might throw a spanner in the works so I'm not going to count my chickens just yet!


181 Posts

Yes, go for EB2 if possible...and if not, no harm trying H1B. Either one will allow you to extend your stay here in the US. I have known two new NP's got their job offers and on their way to sponsorships in SoCal. Good luck!!!

This topic is now closed to further replies.