Jump to content

Alternate List

Pre-Nursing   (166 Views 3 Comments)
by Ashenx Ashenx (New Member) New Member

33 Visitors; 2 Posts

advertisement

Okay, a little background, I've been a CNA for about 8 years now, finally got my head out of my butt and decided it's time to go back to school. I just finished my 2nd semester of community college finishing my prerequisites for their ADN program. I applied for 2 programs that are sister colleges (both an hour away from me). I got a letter saying I was an alternate for one of them and haven't gotten anything from the other. My GPA in high school was trash and my college is currently a 3.2. I chose these two colleges because I'm at 33 credit hours and will have a full scholarship to either (if accepted) if I don't complete more than 60 credits before it's over with. There is another college in my town I could attend but it would cost me upwards of 8k a semester and don't have the gonads to take on that kind of debt. Now, what I'm torn on, if I don't get accepted into either, I have no idea what to do! If I choose to give up nursing, I'll have wasted this whole year on prereques and they don't transfer to anything unless I go to a bachelor program. OR I would have to swallow my pride and go to the expensive school (which I hear is easier to get into but a lot more strict than the sister schools) which will put me out about $38k~ for just an associate's degree. I've been looking into P.A. schools but that's a lot more college before I can start working and a lot more debt, but my credits would transfer to it. Plus my heart has always been with nursing. What would you all do in this situation? Just curious from people who have been in similar situations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

82 Visitors; 21 Posts

I would apply to the program that's close to you. You never know what kind of financial package they might offer you. Also, with your pre-requisites out of the way, you may be paying less than 8k a semester if you end up less than full time anyway.

I'm also a big proponent of attending a school that it closer because a lot of nursing schools are really strict with attendance, and depending where you live that 1hr in each direction could wind up being a lot longer when you add in inclement weather and traffic accidents. That's time that you could be studying, sleeping, ect.

I would still apply to the other schools, but cover your butt and keep your options open 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Follower; 156 Visitors; 19 Posts

I would agree with morbidlycurious. I always advise students to keep options open as long as they can. Once you have all your options laid out, then you can truly weigh all the pros and cons to determine the best fit. Even if you end up immediately eliminating the more expensive option, no harm done. But if it turns out to be the place you get accepted and their financial aid ends up making it more manageable, it might be worth keeping it on your list for now. 

As you do that, you could certainly contact the other schools you are looking into and see if you can get a bit more info. You might be able to find out from a nursing advisor how many students end up being alternates, what the process would be if you moved from being an alternate to accepted, when that would be known if it were to happen, etc. And you could also check to see if/when you will hear from the other school. Obviously, you don't want to pester the department but checking in just to get an update or additional insight can't hurt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing 0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×