Mexican Nurses in the U.S.

  1. Hi, all. I found this site and ive been getting pretty desperate to get info for my girlfriend as she is almost done with her nursing degree in Juarez Mexico. So here is our dilemma. We have been waiting for her to finish her degree to get married. It turns out in Mexico you have to do one year of "Service" where ever they send you. It turns out, my girlfriend has to do her "service" in a small town in Chihuahua which is very dangerous. Dangerous enough that i wouldn't even be able to go visit her for the whole year. School will not release her diploma unless she finishes her "service" which is basically going into this small town and staying there for a whole year with 10 dollars worth of pay a week. Now, our plan was for her to practice here in the United States. She does not need visa or anything like that as once we are married she will get a green card through me. Is there any way around this "service"? If so what will we have to do in order to start the process to get her licensed in the U.S.? Thanks in advance for any feedback i really appreciate it. We have a few days to decide if she goes or not. On a side note, once she finishes the year of free work in this town, her diploma will be released. She is done with all her classes.
  2. Visit sam31441 profile page

    About sam31441

    Joined: Jan '12; Posts: 1


  3. by   Silverdragon102
    It is going to take some time to go through the process for GC if she stays in Mexico however she will require her transcripts if she wishes to nurse in the US
  4. by   almaguerx
    Hey Sam,
    Yes, she needs to complete her Social Service so she can get her transcripts, diploma and mexican license, otherwise she won't be able to practice in the US because those are the first 3 things they'll ask her in order to be elegible for the NCLEX-RN, CGFNS, etc. Maybe she can ask for a relocation in another city instead? Let me know how it turns out. Good luck, Tanya
  5. by   caroladybelle
    As she/the BON must have access to her transcript, to be licensed here in the USA, I doubt that anything can be done from the US side.

    And I suspect the BON would not look kindly on an applicant that skips out on a duty owed to another sovereign nation.

    Has she tried to talk to Mexican authorities regarding exemptions?