British adult nurse wanting to move to New York. Can I work?

  1. So I'm a registered adult nurse in the UK. I really want to move to New York and work as a nurse over there. Now I know that I have to have the hours in mental health, paeds and OB but does anyone know how I go about getting them?
    I mean I've looked everywhere and there's no courses in the UK doing this, and I really don't want to have to do my nursing degree again in the USA.
    Any advice?
  2. Visit rosie811 profile page

    About rosie811

    Joined: Nov '12; Posts: 1
    Nurse; from GB
    Specialty: 1 year(s) of experience in Elderly admissions


  3. by   Silverdragon102
    I think things will be hard especially as no courses available in the uk to top up. Also if getting visa yourself be aware of the 6 plus years wait once you have found a employer willing to file for EB3 and wait the several years for you. For New York I think this may be hard due to the high number of US nurses struggling in the state and hospitals closing. Suggest you check out the NY state forum under the US tab above
  4. by   inurselover
    Order American nursing review books on line. Then you will need to take State Boards. As for getting a visa... impossible. I came from UK many years ago and took NY state boards. I found an American Agency that for a high fee will send you a study guide and help you register for American Boards. I paid for flight and hotel as well. Plus found my own job. Had wrong visa. But finally got green card. It is harder now. I will find name of agency i used and will post. Good luck! Plus taking boards you need ti understand Americanisms and a difference in thinking
  5. by   loriangel14
    Nursing review books will make no difference if she doesn't have the theory and clinical hours she is missing made up.She can't write the boards until she gets that taken care of.