Jump to content

what to do if...

by pen16 pen16 (New) New

Hi, so glad a friend referred me to this web, at least I can get some ideas...I have a friend who works in a nursing home, serving her 2nd yr of a 3-yr contract. Few weeks ago, a terrible thing happened to her. Her shift was almost over, in-fact she was doing the narcotic count with the incoming nurse in the med. room when they both discovered that a blister pack (out of 20) of a narcotic was missing. She recalled that while she was doing the counting at the start of her shift, the outgoing nurse from the previous shift (who was a constant nurse where she receices endorsement) "distracted" her and couldn't recall if she actually finished counting the said blister packs. The following day both of them were suspended because accdg. to the DONS, they have to make an investigation first. Should suspension happen right away? Knowing my friend, I deeply know she has a clear conscience that she didn't "steal" the pack. What is the due process in these situations? Unfortunately, the investigation is taking quite long because the state is also in the nursing home doing a "survey" so the DONS couldn't find time to finish it. Can she ask for back pay if she's proven innocent? What about her contract, can she look for other job because she also has a family & bills to pay?:cry:

Can she file a complaint to the dept. of labor? dept. of health? Thanks for your help...

DutchgirlRN, ASN, RN

Specializes in OB, M/S, HH, Medical Imaging RN. Has 33 years experience.

i believe it's against the tos for any member to offer any type of legal advice.

i can tell you it's not unusual for the nurses involved to be put on suspension until the issue is resolved. it doesn't imply that one or the other or both is guilty. if your friend is truly innocent, and i believe you, then justice will prevail.

donsterRN, ASN, BSN

Specializes in Cardiac Care. Has 10 years experience.

Unfortunately, the membership here is unable to provide you with the answers you are seeking. Perhaps a call to appropriate legal representatives would be more appropriate.

We wish you well.

This topic is now closed to further replies.